Replaced Motor, Wont prime

Jun 19, 2016
Ballston Spa NY
I have an inground pool, 18 x 36, roughly 9 ft deep at the deep end. the numbskulls that put it in put the pump 6 feet higher than the pool itself with only a 3/4 hp pump. so I decided to buy a 1.5 hp motor and I put it in and everything is correct on it I've been through it a hundred times, fired up the first time just fine and pulled a prime perfect but I noticed a leak at my chlorinator so I shut it down, and then restarted it and now it won't pull a prime, I have been tinkering with the thing for days and I need suggestions, thank you in advance for any help you extented to me

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Feeling a bit frustrated there huh? :brickwall: So it worked once, but now doesn't seem to want to prime after fiddling with the chlorinator huh? Since the chlorinator is after the filter, that should have no bearing on the prime. Do you have a check valve before the pump? Have you already ruled-out ANY chance of air intake (leak) on the suction side? While we like to see a pump hold water in the strainer basket for a quick prime at start-up, sometimes a system drains either from gravity, a small air leak, or faulty check valve. I forget what manufacture I was looing at a couple weeks ago, but in its owner's manual it stated prime could take up to 8 minutes! It didn't take the pool owner that long to prime, but it was about 5 minutes. Perhaps the Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page may help as well.

Let us know. Nice to have you with us.

so I decided to buy a 1.5 hp motor
If you just bought a new motor and not a new pump, that will not change anything. The pump impeller determines the power of the pump so you must change that too.

Is there a valve on the suction side of the pump? With high lift pumps, it is easier to prime if you have a suction side valve that you can close and fill the pump basket with water and then open after the pump is running.

Thank You very much for the timely reply and warm welcome.

This may be a dumb question but if I have a suction side air leak would it still push air out of the returns? There is nothing coming out of them at all, and I have my skimmer valve shut off completely for another reason so I am only running the main drains for now to answer your question about the check valve on the skimmer line.

The pool is only 7 years old and has been a world of problems but I got it running smooth last year then decided to change the motor because the old one couldn't keep up any more.

Thanks Again

I got a new impeller as well, sorry should have included that, there is a valve there and I usually fill the pipes for a while then close it and fill the basket all the way and start the pump and open the valve, Like I said it worked the first time then after that nothing.

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question but if I have a suction side air leak would it still push air out of the returns? There is nothing coming out of them at all, and I have my skimmer valve shut off completely for another reason so I am only running the main drains for now to answer your question about the check valve on the skimmer line.
If the pump doesn't prime, then air cannot be pushed out the returns. But closing off the skimmer could be your issue. If the MD is clogged in anyway, it would restrict the flow to the pump not allowing it to prime.

If the pump doesn't prime, then air cannot be pushed out the returns. But closing off the skimmer could be your issue. If the MD is clogged in anyway, it would restrict the flow to the pump not allowing it to prime.

I just tried to open the skimmer and main drain at the same time and nothing, then tried the skimmer alone and that still didn't work, does that mean it has to be a suction side air leak somewhere?

6' rise is very hard to prime even in a perfectly working system.

Are you turning on the pump before the suction valve is opened? This is key.

How long are you allowing the pump to run before declaring it is not priming? This could take up to 5 min.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.