Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: finished converting from baquacil to chlorine

finished converting from baquacil to chlorine

i found this site after i started my conversion from baq to chlorine. i have been fighting water mold for about
    5 years with tee baquaicl and i finally gave up. for all the good the baq did in getting rid of the water mold, i
    might just as well have just thrown my billfold in the pool. i have a fiberglass pool, 25000 gallons. i started
    my conversion with 6 lbs of non-chlorine shock. it took baq reading from 31 to zero. as i said i started
    conversion before finding this site , so i was converting using granular chlorine @ 4 lbs a day. in 2 days water
    mold was gone and in 6 days pool was sparkling clear. i ended up using 25 lbs of granular chlorine at a cosof $75. my question is don't you think it is cheaper to convert using granular chlorine that bleach?
    24,000 gallon ig fiberglass pool
    1 hp hayward pump
    hayward sand filter (250 lb)
    madisonville, ky

Re: finished converting from baquacil to chlorine

Welcome to TFP!

Prices fluctuate. The majority of the time bleach is less expensive, but a major pool chemical sale can occasionally change that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Senior Member In the Industry

Yeah, usually bleach wins the price awr but seldom by much.

The other advantage is that bleach adds nothing but chlorine to your pool. I'm not sure if you used tri-chlor or di-chlor powder but they both add stuff that may or may not be troublesome for your pool water balance.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

i guess the bottom line is that i'm just glad to be rid of the water mold and have the

baqua-**** outta my pool. it looks better than it has in years.
    1 hp hayward pump
    madisonville, ky

Since you have converted, do you have a good test kit to keep your pool nice and sparkly? If not, you can find the TF100 in my and other's siggies. It's made by duraleigh and is the best around! 8)

Sharkline Venture 24'x54"
    DE Filter
    Borating this year....

Congratulations on your conversion, Diverman! I am still in the process of converting and can't wait for it to be done.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

i just wanted to add that people who are struggling to get rid of white water mold
    should switch as soon as possible. i have been fighting white water mold with baq
    products for 5 or 6 yearsnow and it just keeps coming back. i've spent hundreds
    if not thousands of dollars fighting it with baq. within 2 days of starting conversion,
    water mold was gone. the water was still green but the water mold was gone.
    1 hp hayward pump
    madisonville, ky

Hi and welcome,

I know what you mean by white water mold. I had it last year along with pink water slime and algae. I spent $1400 or more from pool opening around May 1 until I converted to chlorine in Aug. According to pool store white water mold and pink slime are not due to Baquacil but environmental issues and you should brush and vacuum at least once a week (I was brushing and vacuuming everyday).

Before I got new pool I used chlorine and never got any of these problems. You will be glad you switched. Also get a good test kit as noted on this site. Well worth it.

Susan
    18x33 AGP, BAQUAPURE 200 lb sandfilter, 2 1/2hp Workhorse pump (2 speed)