Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Waterline tile and lack of weir

1. Back To Top    #1

Waterline tile and lack of weir

I recently purchased an older home with a pool that was added in around the 80's, so it needs a lot of upgrading -IF NECESSARY.

Firstly, there is no weir. I DO need one right?

Secondly, a bunch of the waterline tiles have fallen off. How can I tell if these are just cosmetic, or if I will have to go further in and repair what's behind that? Judging by all the neglected items throughout the house, I'm certain this pool had zero maintenance as well. Do I need to get an estimate from a pool construction company?

I am under water restrictions - the city won't allow a full drain and refill due to the stage 2 drought, I was told. Therefore, I JUST completed an RO treatment so my levels are spot on. I would HATE to have to drain everything in the next few years just to fix my tiles or coping.
    16,250 Gallons, IG Plaster; Pentair Clean & Clear CC100 Cartridge Filter with WhisperFlo Pump;
    Pool install 1980's; TF-100 Test Kit; Stage 2 California drought restrictions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Waterline tile and lack of weir

Yes, a weir makes a huge difference in skimming. Sunplay and INYO have lots.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the referral!
    16,250 Gallons, IG Plaster; Pentair Clean & Clear CC100 Cartridge Filter with WhisperFlo Pump;

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm ready to order a new weir for my skimmer and wanted to run this by you guys. The only tell tale trace of a skimmer left was the spring loaded tube. I guess the rest of the weir broke off somehow. The tube, when fully compressed and hinges are INSIDE the tube is 7" long. I measured the width, or height of the opening at 5.25 inches. Also, there doesn't seem to be any hole of any sort where the weir hinge used to be connected. Is this normal? Does the weir hinge rely solely on the force of the internal spring to stay in place? I thought there would at least be some sort of counterbore for the hinges.

Finally, do I buy a universal weir (from INYO) with those exact dimensions? or... should I go slightly smaller so it fits?

Thanks in advance for your help!

5. Back To Top    #5

Some skimmer openings are setup that way with no pilot holes.

My last pool, built in '73 had that and a generic replacement weir with spring
    loaded hinge worked great.

Get the one nearest the size without being too big. After you install it, make sure
    it moves easily (with pump off) and doesn't get stuck.

I mounted mine too high and didn't realize until I turned the pump on and
    the door got stuck on a piece of grout sticking out from the top.

Then it vortexed and got air in the pump.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.