Phoenix Area Pool Build

spoonman

Jun 16, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Hi Guys, I'm pretty new to this forum and have found it very helpful as I get started on a new build. I live in the Phoenix area and am in the process of getting the pool build underway. I just signed a contract this week and am working to fine tune the last few details. Very excited about getting started :swim:

Here are the specs...

13.5X27 Rectangle (rounded corners)
Light Gray Shasta Deck (cool deck)
6" aqua blue tile (going for a classic/retro look)
White marble plaster
Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump
Pentair TR100 C High Rate Commercial Sand Filter
Hayward Navigator Vacuum Robot
18" Baja Step (2nd step depth)

Sand Filter Sizing

Also, I'm building a pool that is aprox. 12,000 gallons. Pool builder has be down for a TR100C commercial grade high-rate sand filter. I understand that it is good to have a filter that is slightly oversized to reduce backwashing and increase efficiency. Does this filter seem like a good match for my pool? :confused:

PS: I'm in Phoenix, so I may be contending with a fair amount of dust/sand.

Re: Sand Filter Sizing

That is a nice sized filter for your pool. Plenty big so you won't have to backwash too often. I've noticed that cartridge and DE filters seem to be more common in your region as they require less water in general for maintenance. Did your builder discuss those options with you? Sand is fine, but doesn't filter quite as well as DE or cartridges and does consume more water, because of the necessity of backwashing to clean the filter.

Thanks for the welcome. I was undecided whether to build the pool or not, but the massive heat wave definitely helped me make the decision!

The PB discussed filter options with me and cartridge filters are certainly popular around here. In the end, I chose the sand filter for the simple, proven design and low maintenance. I do not like to waste water though, so I plan to use the backwashed water for irrigation wherever possible. I believe that the large filter should also allow me to go longer between backwashes.

Thanks for the welcome. I was undecided whether to build the pool or not, but the massive heat wave definitely helped me make the decision!

The PB discussed filter options with me and cartridge filters are certainly popular around here. In the end, I chose the sand filter for the simple, proven design and low maintenance. I do not like to waste water though, so I plan to use the backwashed water for irrigation wherever possible. I believe that the large filter should also allow me to go longer between backwashes.

Those are the same reasons I went with a sand filter as well. Many PBs tried to sell me on cartridges, but I just wanted a sand one and eventually got my way :) Good luck on your pool build!

^ Great to meet a fellow Arizona forumer.

Interesting to hear you have a deep pool and diving board. Very rare these days. I'm going down to 6' just because it creates more options for playing games under water (diving rings etc) and jumping

Awesome! Any idea from the builder when they will start?

Have you asked them about adding a salt water chlorine generator? It really makes chlorination very easy rather than relying on jug dumping bleach or adding a liquid chlorine stenner pump.

The builder will start in 2 months when my house is completed (new house under construction as well...the pool builder works with the home builder) :sleep:

My father used to have a pool chemical service. He had over 100 accounts at one point. His suggestion was to stay as far away from chlorine generators as possible. His reasoning was that they create a situation where you are always playing catch-up with muriatic acid. They also seem to break frequently. My understanding (or misunderstanding) is that SWG is against the philosophy of TFP. Perhaps I misunderstood. Anyway, curious to hear thoughts on this logic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hundreds of TFP users use SWG and they are highly recommended. You essentially exchange lugging gallons of bleach for a lesser amount of muriatic additions. If you follow TFP guidelines and operate at a lower TA level with an SWG, pH rise due to the SWG can be slowed and it's less of an issue. If you were to follow industry guidelines trying to maintain 100 ppm TA with an SWG, you indeed would be chasing your tail on the acid/baking soda hamster wheel.

No offense is meant, but once properly dialed in a SWG would eliminate the need for pool chemical service outside of acid additions. Not good for a chemical service business model.

If proper chemistry is maintained (CSI) SWG cells can last quite some time, especially if they are oversized for the pool, as TFP suggests.

We would LOVE to help you build your pool! Lets get started! You have already listed your equipment. Now lets get that into your signature-settings-upper right, edit signature-middle left. Put in the size, shape, gals, equpment, any extras.

TFP LOVES it some SWG! What TFP is all about is teaching people how to care for their own pools by testing and knowing what to put in their pool to keep it balanced and looking like a jewel :sun: You have to have chlorine and one of the easiest way to get chlorine into your pool is with......wait for it.............a..........SWG! LOL I wish I could have one :( I have a above ground pool and worry about rust on the sides so.........jugs of chlorine for me.

Would you care to share a picture of your being built house and where the pool will be going? We love things like that!

Kim:cat:

Thanks for the info. Good to know that SWG is widely endorsed here. That gives me fresh perspective.

Here are pics of my lot, as well as a rudimentary illustration of our plans for the backyard done in MS paint. I'll have to post the actual architectural drawings of the pool when I get them in an electronic format.

View attachment 50885Untitled3.jpg

These pictures are some examples of my inspiration for the pool. I'm going for a retro modern look with a traditional rectangular design, rounded corners, blue tile, etc. I met with the pool builder and have added a large Baja step and a 3-step ladder for the deep end. My decking surface is called Shasta Deck, a type of "kool deck" finish that will be light gray. I originally wanted brushed concrete, but I live in Phoenix...nuff said. The overall dimensions are 13.5x28 with a depth of 3.5'-6'
View attachment 50887
MjA1NDUzMTQw.jpg

The builder will start in 2 months when my house is completed (new house under construction as well...the pool builder works with the home builder) :sleep:

My father used to have a pool chemical service. He had over 100 accounts at one point. His suggestion was to stay as far away from chlorine generators as possible. His reasoning was that they create a situation where you are always playing catch-up with muriatic acid. They also seem to break frequently. My understanding (or misunderstanding) is that SWG is against the philosophy of TFP. Perhaps I misunderstood. Anyway, curious to hear thoughts on this logic.

I plan to add a SWG as soon as my budget can swing it. It's definitely worth a look for your new pool. :)

Haha. I am in Vistancia. Right off Westland Parkway. How long have you been there? I am in Ahwatukee until the house is finished...very long drive up there to check things out.

Nice! Hello fellow Vistancia neighbor! So funny I recognized the fence, cause I have the same view fence for my yard :) We moved in about a year and a half ago, we built a home with Woodside Homes here. And yeah, we're pretty far away from people! I look forward to them building more commercial stuff here. They have to eventually, I hope.

Small world. How has the HOA been? They appear quite restrictive about what you can and can't have in your backyard. I want palm trees, but they are not on the "approved" list for the backyard. I wonder if I can get them approved. Please share your experience with landscaping, etc.

Small world. How has the HOA been? They appear quite restrictive about what you can and can't have in your backyard. I want palm trees, but they are not on the "approved" list for the backyard. I wonder if I can get them approved. Please share your experience with landscaping, etc.

HOA has been pretty nice so far. They approved the pool plans within 2 weeks, and are giving us plenty of time to build and landscape afterwards. But yes, they are very particular on what kind of plants you can use for your yard, especially if you have a view fence. I believe the only Palm we can use is a 'Queen Palm'. I have not submitted my landscaping plan to them yet because we are still waiting for the pool to finish.

Pool builder just confirmed that our tile is available and is on hold. :D

The tiles are 6" aqua blue squares, which are kind of old school but pretty ubiquitous. Was as a close call as the builder said our tile was in short supply.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.