Considering getting sand filter and/or SWG....

tamaralemus

Silver Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
Port Neches, TX
I use an Intex Krystal Clear 2,500 gph cartridge pump right now. Really considering switching to a sand filter. But at the same time, was also thinking of switching to a SWG.

I have some dust/pollen/dirt that keeps accumulating in the creases of my pool, and if I go 3-4 days without vacuuming it builds up and bothers me. I passed my OCLT twice, two weeks apart, without shocking and with only .5 ppm loss, so I'm pretty sure it isn't Algae, which is what I was thinking at first. Also have either 0 or .5 CC, so don't think it's an algae problem. Hoping the sand filters more dust/pollen out so I don't have to vacuum every 2-3 days (I'm kind of OCD and don't want ANYTHING on the bottom, lol).

Considering switching to a SWG so that I can just "set it and forget it" lol. Tired of pouring bleach every day or two, and sometimes when I get really really busy I don't have time to test and worry about chlorine level floating down to below minimum and having an algae bloom. Had that happen at the beginning of May and it was not fun, and all because I ran out of bleach and didn't have time to get to the store and buy bleach two evenings in a row! My son is special needs (heart problems), we spend a lot of time in a major city 2 hours away for procedures and tests and hospital stays, and I'm not home every day to test/treat. Plus, he's 8, so he's in the pool as much as possible, lol, and his skin is pretty sensitive and I'm hoping the salt will help with that a little.

So anyway, I since I've never used either a SWG or a sand filter, is there any drawback or benefits to having one pump/unit do both things?? Intex has a combo unit Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Garden

Or, I can do a separate sand filter and add a SWG to the loop if there are benefits to setting it up this way. Any input?? :confused:

Thanks,

Tamara

Last edited:
The only harm in an all in one unit is if one part becomes unusable then you have to replace the whole thing, or at least do some creative plumbing. The biggest pro is that is a very inexpensive system, as any one of those components could easily cost the same as that whole unit costs.

My reasons for switching to sand would be to stop the time-wasting/mess of every 24-48 hour pleated cartridge cleaning, and to hopefully keep so much pollen/dirt particles from settling on the floor of my pool, mostly in the seams.
It's fine if you want to change but don't do it for that reason. You have a chemistry issue and not a filter issue.
Whether you can see it or not, the chances are huge that you have algae growing in your pool.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry this will get you started down the right path.

I have a CYA of 40, keep my chlorine levels between 4-7. Haven't had any algae since we opened the pool in the beginning of May, when I did a complete SLAM. Have done OCLT several times, each time only having a 0.5 loss. Pretty sure it's not algae, water rinsing grey/brown instead of the normal green when I have a bloom. I've never had it bad enough where the actual pool showed green, just the filter.

We have a lot of blooming trees/bushes. I'm in Southeast Texas and everything stays coated in pollen this time of year. My hairnet skimmer liner also does not gum up like when I'm having algae issues. Skimmer only catches bugs and tiny flowers and leaves with no gunky stuff or green.

I can do another SLAM, but pretty sure it's stuff blowing in because it's all over my top rails and deck also....

Edited to add: I usually have 0 CC, but once in a while will have 0.5 if there is a large amount of leaves/flowers etc. that have sunk to the bottom.

Last edited:
If you are cleaning your filter every 24-48 hours as you say, do you feel that is all pollen/leaves/flowers?

If so, the problem is a terribly inadequate filter. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of sand filters, but you'll need to get a much larger one to keep up with the constant assault of all that debris.

I'm using the regular Intex paper cartridges from Walmart, Type B I think. If I spray it every 24 hours, it's looks dingy but not awful. If i go 48-72 hours, it's definitely a darker brownish/grey color. I've been using the same two since last year, just spraying them down and alternating every few changes.

Come to think of it, when I just typed how long I've had them, I think I need to replace them!! lol I can't believe that didn't occur to me, that they may be worn out from the high pressure spray and chlorine. It never goes back to "white"...duh! I'm going to buy new ones and see if that helps!! I guess filtering my pool with old and degraded filters might be my problem! ugh. How often should you need to clean them? AND, more importantly, how often should you replace?? And is a 2,500 GPH pump adequate for for a 10,500 gallon pool? It's 22 x 52 round....

Thanks Duraleigh. You mentioning inadequate filters gave me a lightbulb!! :scratch:Maybe I would be good without the sand filter. I guess a trip to Wally World is in my future....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.