Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex ultra frame bottom suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex ultra frame bottom suggestions

I finally have my ground ready to set up my pool. But, no one local to me sells the gorilla pad type stuff to put under the pool. I'd have to wait at least 3-5 days if I buy it online. My kids are chomping at the bit to get this pool up.

Are there any alternative options I could use to protect the pool from the ground and provide some padding?

My local Home Depot sells the 4x8 foam board insulation, but it's almost $13 a sheet.

Intex Ultra Frame 24x52 AGPIntex sand filter #128645HTH 6-way test kitPool was built and filled week of 6/24/16

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Intex ultra frame bottom suggestions

that is the exact stuff I used and it is amazing when you're in the pool, yes its a little more expensive but so worth it..

you could try the 50 foot piece, It's 1/4 inch so I am not sure if it will be the same Shop Kingspan Insulation R1 Faced Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation (Common: 0.25-in x 4-ft x 50-ft; Actual: 0.25-in x 4-ft x 50-ft) at Lowes.com

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

The 3/4" inch foam is the way to go. But think of it as a 1 time expense since you can use it for multiple seasons even if you take your pool down for the winter. Lay it down, tape the seams, and get the fill water going, you won't be disappointed.
    Intex 16 * 48 Ultra
    2650 Intex Sand Filter
    Hayward Thruwall Skimmer
    Hardplumbed in 2014
    TF100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Will that 1/4" stuff be enough?

Intex Ultra Frame 24x52 AGPIntex sand filter #128645HTH 6-way test kitPool was built and filled week of 6/24/16

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I am just not sure, I did the 3/4 and worked great, I have seen people get the 1/2 inch but its almost the same price.. I have not heard of anyone using the 1/4 inch, just giving options
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, neither my local Home Depot or Lowes had the 3/4" or 1/2" stuff. So, I got the 1/4". I hope it'll be ok.

FOAMULAR 1/4 in. x 4 ft. x 50 ft

Owens Corning FOAMULAR 1/4 in. x 4 ft. x 50 ft. R-1 Fanfold Insulation Sheathing-21UM - The Home Depot

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, so I now have 3 different things to put on the ground under the pool.

1. Foam board insulation
    2. Gorilla pad
    3. Tarp provided with the pool

What should I use and in what order?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I only used the foam board but this is what I would do

Throw the tarp away or use it for something else, it is so thin and useless you don't want it under the pool

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a concrete base and I have bought some EVA foam interlocking gym mats to go on top of the base and under the liner. Will be putting it up on Friday, subject to weather.

10. Back To Top    #10

I went with the gorilla pad and the foam board on top of it.

I'm seeing that a lot of these pools have a rope around the bottom, but mine doesn't. Is it needed?

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

that white strap is fine..

I do not see any blocks under your legs, are they under the padding? don't want your legs to sink after a rain or splash out

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    that white strap is fine..

I do not see any blocks under your legs, are they under the padding? don't want your legs to sink after a rain or splash out
    I haven't put the blocks down yet. I ran out of daylight last night.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

yep, need some light for that