Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Post RO treatment and CH question

1. Back To Top    #1

Post RO treatment and CH question

I'm happy to report that my "new" pool is now properly balanced, or at least ALMOST there. I purchased this older home about a month ago and had CH and CYA levels off the charts. Due to the drought here in Southern Cali, I wasn't allowed to drain or refill my pool. I suppose i could've done it gradually, but it might've taken me over a year.

These are my BEFORE numbers

FC 15
    Ph 8.2
    CC 0.5
    TA 320
    CYA 180
    CH 1,125

and now... after RO treatment ($500 later)

FC 5
    Ph 7.4
    CC 0.2
    TA 70
    CYA 40
    CH 150

The water is now sparkling clear and I couldn't be happier.

So.. should I adjust the CH level as poolmath says its 100 below the minimum goal? The RO guy told me to leave it alone as my tap water is high in CH.
    16,250 Gallons, IG Plaster; Pentair Clean & Clear CC100 Cartridge Filter with WhisperFlo Pump;
    Pool install 1980's; TF-100 Test Kit; Stage 2 California drought restrictions

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Post RO treatment and CH question

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure other folks from CA and those who can't drain and refill will appreciate the information you shared.

I would plug your #s into Pool Math and determine your CSI. If your CSI doesn't say corrosive, I would leave it be and it will rise naturally as you add water from evaporation. I've plugged your #s into pool math, but you need to learn this
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks kcindc. i didn't even think of reading the CSI. I will do that immediately.

- - - Updated - - -

And my CSI is -0.58, JUST above the low end. I'll consider this good. Thanks again!
    16,250 Gallons, IG Plaster; Pentair Clean & Clear CC100 Cartridge Filter with WhisperFlo Pump;
    Pool install 1980's; TF-100 Test Kit; Stage 2 California drought restrictions

4. Back To Top    #4

Your CSI is pretty good, it's above -0.6 but close. I would certainly allow the pH to live in the 7.6 and 7.8 range and only lower your pH to as low as 7.4 when the pH creeps above 7.8. No sense trying to raise pH chemically now, it should creep up a little over time.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons