Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to get CYA and TA, and pH up.

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to get CYA and TA, and pH up.

Hello! This is my second summer with a pool, and I'm not totally sure what I'm doing, so I'm hoping someone can help. My pool water has been sparkly clean and clear since initial opening/shocking, but after a big pool party yesterday I had slightly cloudy water and .5 CC in my water, and am currently shocking. My TA and pH is a bit low, and there is no CYA in my water. So I'm wondering if there is an order I should raise things, if I can do it all at once, if I can swim while tinkering with raising things, etc. I purchased Borax and stabilizer, but have never added them before, so just feeling a bit nervous. I read to first dissolve the Borax in water before adding, then do I just pour it in? And the stabilizer should go in a sock?

My test results today read:
    FC - 16.5
    CC-.5
    TC- 17
    TA - 80
    CYA - 0
    pH - 7.4 (but may be due to high chlorine, usually it is 7.0)
    sarahk IG, 7,000 gallons, sand filter (Hayward Vari-Flo XL), vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to get CYA and TA, and pH up.

How are you testing-which test kit?

With 0 CYA your chlorine will disappear faster than it can clear up that cloudy water.

Have you discovered PoolMath yet? It will advise you on how much of everything to add. Make sure you input your pool's volume at the top and down at the bottom put in that you want to follow TFP.com, vinyl and primary chlorine comes from <?>

Get that stabilizer in there pronto, up to 30ppm. Then work on the rest if its needed.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you - I just went to the calculator and put everything in; so I'll follow that to add more. I have the TF-100 test kit.
    I will put the stabilizer in now, and then work on the rest, as you suggested. I read in a thread it's okay to put it in an old pillowcase? I need a lot of it, so I don't think it will fit in a sock.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by sarahk View Post
    Thank you - I just went to the calculator and put everything in; so I'll follow that to add more. I have the TF-100 test kit.
    I will put the stabilizer in now, and then work on the rest, as you suggested. I read in a thread it's okay to put it in an old pillowcase? I need a lot of it, so I don't think it will fit in a sock.
    Anything that will contain the stabilizer while soaking in the water and allow it some time to dissolve will work. You will be surprised how much you can actually fit in a sock. Once in the water, I usually help it out by continuously squeezing the sock.
    Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!