Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intermatic timer gears not turning

1. Back To Top    #1

Intermatic timer gears not turning

The gears through the tiny hole on the base plate don't turn anymore.
    I can manually turn the pump on and off using the lever.

I can lift the yellow dial wheel and turn it just fine, and it sits back when I push back. So the spring on it seems fine, and the dial doesn't seem stuck.

I don't have a problem buying a new one. I just want to make sure mine is actually broken. I know very little about these timers.
    for the dial to turn, does it have it's own breaker? Is it possible that the wheel/gear isn't getting power? How could i figure this out?

Or is it possible the gears just don't work anymore?
    23,000 Gallons Plaster Pool & Spa (1989). Hayward Super II 1.5 HP Pool Pump (Single Speed). Cartridge filter. Kit Tester: Taylor K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intermatic timer gears not turning

I have the same issue. Mine is actually hooked up to my water heater and has not worked since I purchased the house last year. I had to manually leave it on so we could have hot water.
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

There is a little motor behind the cover that turns the gears. I have had to replace mine after about 4 years. The motor is available as a separate item you can replace or you can just replace the whole unit. Make sure you take lots of pictures as you go.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I just ended up buying an entirely new unit. Pretty sure the issue was the motor simply burned out. ended up costing 40 bucks. Replaced it myself.
    23,000 Gallons Plaster Pool & Spa (1989). Hayward Super II 1.5 HP Pool Pump (Single Speed). Cartridge filter. Kit Tester: Taylor K-2006.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Good deal and thanks for coming back and letting us know what you did.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

What about replacing it with one of these....

Amazon.com: GE 7-Day On/Off Outdoor Metal Box Timer: Home Improvement

Much easier to use IMO, easier to program, and has 8 on/off settings...
    20k Gunite 16' x 32' , Hayward c7030 700 sq ft cartridge filter. Pentair Superflo 1hp 2sp pump, Intellichlor IC40 w/ Power Center SWG, Hayward GL-235 Solar Controller, (2) Digital GE Timers.