Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intermatic timer gears not turning

1. Back To Top    #1

Intermatic timer gears not turning

The gears through the tiny hole on the base plate don't turn anymore.
    I can manually turn the pump on and off using the lever.

I can lift the yellow dial wheel and turn it just fine, and it sits back when I push back. So the spring on it seems fine, and the dial doesn't seem stuck.

I don't have a problem buying a new one. I just want to make sure mine is actually broken. I know very little about these timers.
    for the dial to turn, does it have it's own breaker? Is it possible that the wheel/gear isn't getting power? How could i figure this out?

Or is it possible the gears just don't work anymore?
    23,000 Gallons Plaster Pool & Spa (1989). Hayward Super II 1.5 HP Pool Pump (Single Speed). Cartridge filter. Kit Tester: Taylor K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intermatic timer gears not turning

I have the same issue. Mine is actually hooked up to my water heater and has not worked since I purchased the house last year. I had to manually leave it on so we could have hot water.
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

There is a little motor behind the cover that turns the gears. I have had to replace mine after about 4 years. The motor is available as a separate item you can replace or you can just replace the whole unit. Make sure you take lots of pictures as you go.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I just ended up buying an entirely new unit. Pretty sure the issue was the motor simply burned out. ended up costing 40 bucks. Replaced it myself.
    23,000 Gallons Plaster Pool & Spa (1989). Hayward Super II 1.5 HP Pool Pump (Single Speed). Cartridge filter. Kit Tester: Taylor K-2006.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Good deal and thanks for coming back and letting us know what you did.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

What about replacing it with one of these....

Amazon.com: GE 7-Day On/Off Outdoor Metal Box Timer: Home Improvement

Much easier to use IMO, easier to program, and has 8 on/off settings...
    20k Gunite 16' x 32' , Hayward c7030 700 sq ft cartridge filter. Pentair Superflo 1hp 2sp pump, Intellichlor IC40 w/ Power Center SWG, Hayward GL-235 Solar Controller, (2) Digital GE Timers.