Pool Math

Rafy

Aug 27, 2014
Texas
Good Morning:

I'm still confusing about the numbers and how work with the TF-100. I get the kit about 2 weeks ago. I do my numbers but still confusing what I have to do. I been reading in the poolmath and some forum. These are the numbers I get from the TF-100

FC= 5.5
CC= .5
TC= 6.0
TA = 110
PH= 7.2
CYA = 130
Calcium =350ppm

Pleae any help will be appreciate... Rafy

One thing for sure, we need to help you confirm that CYA. Please refer to the following:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.
CYA Dilution Testing:
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.
Once you confirm the CYA, please reply and also include a reply to Dave's questions above about the condition of your water and we'll help you from there.

Since it's a figerglass pool you don't need Calcium so if you using anything that contains it you should quit.
The CYA is too high. If you have a SWCG you might want it around 80. Without a SWCG you should likely be around 40-50 if your pool is out in the sun there in Texas. Partial shade, 30-40.
Only way to lower the CYA is to drain water. If you are using pucks please consider switching to liquid bleach (chlorine). The pucks might be the cause of the high calcium and likely the CYA being so high.

No really I just try to understand if I do things correctly. The water look great, beautiful...

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your respond. Yes I switch to chlorine bleach 10% . I read here that the pucks is some reason for my high CYA. I been change water almost daily to see if the CYA drop.

Rafy, you have the best test kit available, so just practice with it a bit. Our main concern right now is your CYA level. If it is really over 100, it requires a very high FC level at all times to balance-out and fight algae. You can see how that works on the Chlorine/CYA Chart link below in my signature. Please refer to that chart. So we want to ensure you are reading the CYA test correctly. Below is a video that may help you perform that test as well.

TF-100 (CYA): Testing Cyanuric Acid with the TF-100 - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Once you confirm your CYA level to tell us if it is indeed over 100 like you said earlier, or perhaps a different number, let us know and we'll try to advise you more okay.

Good Morning

I did a test yesterday three time, even my daughter did one. and the CYA still over 100+. I watch the video and follow the instruction supply here. However nothing change. I still change water almost daily bases. Any suggestion will really appreciate.. Thanks.

Hello again. The problem with a CYA of over 100 is that it requires a much higher FC level and makes testing pH difficult as well. It's simply not a good way to go. Your best bet would be to do a water exchange. By replacing some water, your CYA will go down. Then make sure to stop using any pool store products (chlorine tabs, powdered shock, etc) that may contain stabilizer.

Curious .... you say 100+. Did you try the "Dilution Method" I gave you above in post #3? That should give us a more accurate number of how high your CYA really is.

Hello again. The problem with a CYA of over 100 is that it requires a much higher FC level and makes testing pH difficult as well. It's simply not a good way to go. Your best bet would be to do a water exchange. By replacing some water, your CYA will go down. Then make sure to stop using any pool store products (chlorine tabs, powdered shock, etc) that may contain stabilizer.

Curious .... you say 100+. Did you try the "Dilution Method" I gave you above in post #3? That should give us a more accurate number of how high your CYA really is.

To tell you the true, I didn't do that one' I just went by the video in the You Tube. I will do it again this afternoon and back to you tomorrow with the result. Thank you for help!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did a test yesterday three time, even my daughter did one. and the CYA still over 100+. I watch the video and follow the instruction supply here. However nothing change. I still change water almost daily bases. Any suggestion will really appreciate.. Thanks.

Guess what, new numbers for my CYA

Test 1. 80 ppm
Test 2. 80 ppm
Test 3. 86 ppm
Test 4. 80 ppm

The others numbers are ok ( PH, CH, etc )
I will keep changing water until goes down. "THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOU ADVICE TEXAS SPLASH WAS SO HELPFUL", I will let you know the result again in couples a days. I know I can count to this forum if I have another issue or question. Thank you everyone for the support.

Update... The CYA still high however not than before... CYA 70. The others number for the PH, FC, CC TC etc.. are good. Going with the liquid bleach (chlorine) 10% was the best decision I make. By the way thanks for that advice. The pool look like crystal everyone in the house are happy and of course using it everyday, me after work ha ha ha. I keep pour 9 oz of chlorine every night. And it is work I will keep on this for now, "it is not broken don't fix it" Later I need to work on my Scale in the pool. Will be another project that I know this forum can help me... Well have a great day !!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.