Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why do some people have 100, 200 or even 300 CYA??

1. Back To Top    #1

Why do some people have 100, 200 or even 300 CYA??

I've seen a few threads with people throwing these numbers around and asking if they need to empry/fill the pool again.

How did they get to a CYA of 200+ to begin with?

I am about to bring my pool up to 20 CYA after the new liner/water goes in, but just wondering if there are other natural factors that can make the CYA sky rocket?
    16x34 In-ground vinyl pool (22,000ish gallons), Sand Filter, K-2006 test kit, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why do some people have 100, 200 or even 300 CYA??

Constant use of trichlor tablets and dichlor granular shock products. Each time they are used, they add CYA along with the FC. For every 10 ppm FC added, dichlor adds 9 ppm CYA and trichlor adds 6 ppm CYA.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Constant use of trichlor tablets and dichlor granular shock products. Each time they are used, they add CYA along with the FC. For every 10 ppm FC added, dichlor adds 9 ppm CYA and trichlor adds 6 ppm CYA.
    Ah ok got it. So its just them adding it in. I thought it was some natural element driving it up.
    16x34 In-ground vinyl pool (22,000ish gallons), Sand Filter, K-2006 test kit, SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Nope, don't worry, you will be fine. We call that Getting Pool Stored. I would go 30 on CYA, it is easier to measure on the test.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach