Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 43 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

1. Back To Top    #1

Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Pretty excited, I just ordered my first robotic pool cleaner. I chose the Doheny Discovery, which appears to be the same model as the Maytronics Dolphin S 200 / Active 20 models. As of today, the Doheny's Discovery was on sale for $649.00 with free shipping and no tax, which helped smooth over the cost of the cleaner itself. I chose not to get the S 300 or S 300i models, because I really don't think I have a use for the remote. I can't see my pool from a balcony and the whole point of the cleaner is to not have to sit and babysit it while it works. Not to mention, I don't have large trees or anything else that falls in the pool.

I will update and add a review (maybe video) once it arrives.

Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Mine will be here tomorrow. Not quite the quick shipping I expected since I ordered it on the 15th, but at least it's coming.
    20K in-ground vinyl 32x16; Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter with Hayward 1HP Super Pump,1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns; no heater; TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I had my robot shipped to my wife's office, so that will add another day for me. Earlier in the year I had some lowlife steal a package from my front porch and didn't want that to happen again with such an expensive purchase.

Can't wait to hear how yours works.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just ordered that myself. Hopefully it will work well. Far too many models to choose from in all price ranges.
    Sharkline Matrix 15x30x54, Hayward 1hp 2 speed pump, Hayward EC-50 DE Filter, Rome/Solarium 105k Heat Pump, Aquabot Rover Jr - Deceased - looking to replace it

5. Back To Top    #5

Got mine today. Nice cleaner. Pretty much the S200 from what I can tell. Ran it through the pool once and it really picked up a lot from what I thought was a clean pool and cleaned a ton of pebbles and sand. I also ordered the caddy which is nice, but it's not really designed for the control box for this model. I'm going to get some stainless screws and make a little mount for it on the back of the caddy. I'd post pics but my power went out, difficult to do by phone. Will try to post some later.
    20K in-ground vinyl 32x16; Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter with Hayward 1HP Super Pump,1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns; no heater; TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Mine is working great! I don't have the caddy but might mount the power on the deck railing. So much better than a Pool Rover Jr and the $1000 Polaris P825 from Leslies Pool.
    Sharkline Matrix 15x30x54, Hayward 1hp 2 speed pump, Hayward EC-50 DE Filter, Rome/Solarium 105k Heat Pump, Aquabot Rover Jr - Deceased - looking to replace it

7. Back To Top    #7

Did you guys order it from any particular vendor online?
    Shockrete pool completed Sept 2nd 2015.
    15x30 rectangle 3-5ft deep 13,500 gallon pool
    Jandy SWG, Marbletite Midnight Blue Plaster
    Taylor K-2006 Testkit, Two Jandy 2hp pumps (one for jets in Jacuzzi area)

8. Back To Top    #8

Mine arrived earlier today while I was at work. Wife thought I was crazy when I immediately unboxed it and proceeded to put it the pool for a test run. I think part of her problem was that it was 12:30am when I got home. So far so good. I let it work for 30 minutes, then pulled it out to check the basket. Surprisingly it was full of dirt and small leaves. I'll run it through a couple cycles and report back tomorrow.

For the comment above, this is a Maytronics Dolphin S200 / active 20 that has been rebranded to be sold as a Doheny Discovery. This model is only sold at Doheny pool stores or Doheny.com . My unit was delivered in a box that was marked as a Maytronics Dolphin with a small sticker that says Discovery. The literature does not mention the name Discovery or Doheny and directly says that it it serviced and warranted by Maytronics.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ordered me be this morning, only downside is I had to pay tax, $54 worth....guess they have a location or are in TX

10. Back To Top    #10

So after running my Doheny Discovery through its first couple cycles, I must say that I am seriously impressed by how this thing makes its way around the pool. Even with a pool that was pretty much crystal clear, I was still able to pick up a bunch of dirt and debris each time I pulled the robot out of the water. Only time will tell how long it lasts, but so far I think my $649 investment was well worth it.

Robot in action

Cleaning the waterline tile
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM04hMAzM_o

11. Back To Top    #11

I know this has been mentioned a zillion times but the crazy quick cleaning of the basket/filters makes this series a no-brainer. I went through years of trying to keep my bottom-access canvas bag clean and it got to the point where I really had to think about whether the pool really needed vacuuming before I went through the hassle. Now I don't hesitate to pop it in for a cleaning even if there's minimal stuff in the pool. It's absolutely worth the money, especially at $650.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    I know this has been mentioned a zillion times but the crazy quick cleaning of the basket/filters makes this series a no-brainer. I went through years of trying to keep my bottom-access canvas bag clean and it got to the point where I really had to think about whether the pool really needed vacuuming before I went through the hassle. Now I don't hesitate to pop it in for a cleaning even if there's minimal stuff in the pool. It's absolutely worth the money, especially at $650.
    Yep. My parents had a bottom loading one with a big mesh bag on their pool. I helped my mom with it a few times when we were over there swimming and that was enough for me. When we bought our new house with a pool those few experiences were enough for this basket system to sell me. So easy to use.

13. Back To Top    #13

Another post that we cost me a bunch of money.
    12,000 gal Free Form gunite/plaster pool, Sta-rite Cartridge Filter, Pentair Easytouch, Pentair Intelliflo, Pentair IC40 Intellichlor

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
    Another post that we cost me a bunch of money.
    Might cost my friend a bunch of money to. After I had cleaned my pool enough times, I got bored and walked it over to my friends pool a couple houses down. I started him off early with the tfpools methodology, so I know his pool is a safe place to leave my robot for a couple hours.

15. Back To Top    #15

I was going to get a suction cleaner for my new pool but reading this thread has changed my mind. The Doheny Discovery seems to me to be a better choice and good value for a robotic cleaner.

Actually it may have some of the S300 features - I see it has the LED light and weekly timer.

Anyone know how soon this can be used with new pebble finish plaster? I've heard 30 days but might miss the sale if wait till then.

Ordered 7/17 delivery scheduled 7/21
    Last edited by IrwinK; 07-17-2016 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Ordered & Scheduled for Delivery
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

So a little update:
    Today I went outside to make an updated video of my Doheny Discovery to kinda show how it functions in the pool. As soon as I plugged in the control module, I thought I heard a little fuse type pop, but I'm not really sure. I started filming , let the robot sink to the bottom of the pool and then went to hit the power button and NOTHING! No power lights went on. So I scrambled around checking to make sure I had power at my GFCI protected outlet (that was okay). I even pulled the unit into the house and plugged it in and nothing again. My guess, an internal fuse is either blown or something inside is just bad. This box does not have any type external fuse or reset switch.

So I called Maytronics to see if we could trouble shoot the issue. I spent about 2 minutes on hold and then was greeted by a nice English speaking employee (funny, I know). Since I hadn't registered my unit online or by mail, she registered it for me using the serial number on the back of the warranty card. She then looked up the unit and found that it was a Discovery. She then located the proper power supply and advised that a new unit would be shipping out today and I would receive it within five days (not bad). She also said that unit control module would work out of the box, but I would have to pair it with my phone for the weekly timer to function. Not an issue, since I don't leave it in the pool.

So, I'm kinda bummed that I couldn't finish making my video, but I was happy with the customer service I received. I figure issues like this happen, so how the manufacture resolves the issues is what counts.

I was told that once I receive the new box, and I verify it works that I can throw away the old and do not need to return it. Being the Engineer, I'll probably crack open the old and see if I can fix it and isolate what the issue was. Probably post some pics of the guts, so others don't have to void their warranties by cracking their own cases.

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm definitely interested in this thread as I just purchased the same cleaner. I'm also interested in you cracking open the power supply (Comp Sci guy here). Subbed, and looking forward to updates
    25k outdoor in-ground 18'x36' vinyl pool; Jandy TruClear SWCG; Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 HP WFE-3 pump; Sta-Rite S8M150 System:3 Modular Media 450 sqft filter; Intermatic Freeze Sentry PF1103T
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner; TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Got mine delivered yesterday. Placed it in the pool and it worked right out of the box. Only problem was it got stuck on the top step right under the handrail. Might have cleared itself but I helped it get out.

I'm using the pleated filters. What do you need the fine filters for?
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

Maybe run a cycle with the pleated to pick up the larger items... then throw in the fine filters to get every last crumb...?

20. Back To Top    #20

I have an above ground pool. Would this be too much of a pool cleaner for an above ground? I had purchased the Pool Rover 10 years ago and loved it. It finally broke and I bought a replacement two years ago and it just isn't the same. It doesn't pick up dirt like the old one did. It just moves the dirt around the pool and I must also say that I hate cleaning the filter bag.

Thanks.
    24 ft. round Artesian above-ground pool
    54" depth
    15,000 gallons
    Hayward 1.5 HP EC45 DE Filter
    Hayward H150 Gas Heater

Page 1 of 43 123411 ... LastLast