Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to test after covering...

1. Back To Top    #1

When to test after covering...

Or removing the cover. I ask because when adding or removing the solar cover, you are bound to get pollen, dirt, leaves etc. How long do you have to wait to get an accurate chlorine level?

Last night, we had a great day of swimming and I tested immediately after putting the cover on. I lost 1.5 ppm and gained a tinge of pink for combined chloramines when testing this morning.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to test after covering...

That sounds pretty normal to me FC burning off organics from a big swim day and CCs getting stuck under the cover. It is good to take the cover off a bit every few days to once a week to let it breathe. If you are removing regularly to swim you are fine.

Same rules apply for testing with or without a cover, test 30 min or so after pump is running to mix everything up.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: When to test after covering...

thank you x 2!
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.