Adding Chlorine for the First Time - Help?

you can pour it all in front of a return that is running if other options are dangerous
Its amazing how quickly is gets dispersed
Use pool math to see what you need to add to get to 10
If you are at 4.5 enter that as your start and if 10 is your goal - enter that and your CYA and your gallons and pool math will tell you exactly how much bleach to add

Okay, just tested again (it's about 10:30 pm here and dark obviously, if that matters). I finally got the CYA stabilizer into the pool and my numbers are looking good I hope:

FC = 9 (this was 13 when I first added the bleach around 4pm)
CC = 0.5 (same number at 4pm)
pH = 7.5
CYA = 30 (added CYA stabilizer at 4pm and this was the first chance I got to test)

So, if I'm understanding the process right, basically, I want to continue to test FC at least twice a day and keep adding bleach as necessary to keep the levels in the pool hovering around 10-12. Keep testing CYA to make sure it stays around 30? (But, I don't need to test that as frequently because, presumably, once the CYA stabilizer is in the pool it's not going anywhere, right?) Run the filter 24/7 until I'm losing less than 1.0 in FC per night (before the sun comes up) and the pool looks clear and beautiful?

Do I have it right?

Also, quick question... is it safe for any of us to swim in the pool with the higher levels of FC? Or is it best to stay away during the process? I'm guessing probably no?

With your CYA at 30, it's safe to swim if your FC is less than shock level, which is 12 ppm for 30 ppm FC. If you let it dip a little, swim then bring back up to 12, that's fine. It might be a little harsher on suits but still safe to swim.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.