Jun 20, 2016
Leawood
Brand new to TFP. Been in my new house for almost a year. 16X32 Inter-Glass pool. Wife and I are loving it, but I still have so much to learn! Water chemisty is complicated to me, but hoping to get acclimated soon. Eagerly anticipating good advice from the members here. I'm so glad for forums like this. Thanks, JerryPs. Having some issues with low (almost none) FC. Added 9 lbs of conditioner per Leslie's and muratic acid on Friday. SWG set at 50%. Was told the dry conditioner takes several days to work. We'll see.

Welcome to TFP :)

You really need a great test kit and leslies is not there to help with that, they are there to make money of you :) check out the links below and ask lots of questions, (we love questions)

Welcome to TFP! :wave: As Casey said, look down at our links. They will serve you well. I would also recommend the TF-100 test kit and also request the "Speed Stir" to mix quickly and efficiently. Everything you do as a pool own starts with YOUR testing, not someone else's. It's not hard to do believe me. Nice to have you with us.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Interglass sounds like it might be fiberglass, update your signature with what type of pool surface you have, fiberglass, plaster or vinyl. Sometimes it makes a big difference on advice given

Go ahead and add your state to your location in your profile so it shows up over there <-----. Location and climate is frequently a factor in our advice when we are helping you with your pool. This will save us from having to ask where you are all the time.

Yeah, Leslie's told me to buy Conditioner as well. You don't want it. It's CYA, so quit putting it in your pool until you get your reading.

I'm not going back to Leslie's unless it's something no one else carries. Get your test kit, the guys on this site are great.

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with the terms, the chemistry, the equipment etc., but confident I will learn soon enough. A few follow-up comments....1. Inter-Glass is some sort of fiberglass-over-existing-product material. The company's website doesn't go into a lot of detail. Pool was "as is" when we bought the house, so I wish I knew more about the pool surface; 2. My location is Leawood, KS, which is a suburb of Kansas City, MO. Summers can be brutally hot (who cares, I have a pool now), winter temps can get below zero, spring is usually cool and rainy and fall is GORGEOUS. 3.) My pool water is crystal clear, but FC is way low. Will browse the links/topics for tips on FC, cyanuric acid, etc. Thanks for the recommendation on the test kit. I'll look for one. Should I even waste my time taking water samples to Leslie's? Regards, Jerry

Leslie's? .... no. :) It will either confuse you or cause you to add something you shouldn't. Until your proper kit arrives, simply monitor your SWG salt level and read-up on everything you can here. For about $6 you can pick-up a cheap HTH drop test kit which will give you a few days of low-level FC and pH testing that may help as well. Your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C is where you really take charge.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

It can seem a little overwhelming at first but it's just the learning curve. If you stick with trying to learn you will and soon it'll be second nature. Doing it this way is so much easier and cheaper than relying on a pool store and different employees different advice on what to do.

I recommend the TF-100. It's a bit more $$ than the K2006 but there's more in it. That little speed stir is really handy when you're trying to watch color and count drops as you don't need to try and mix it yourself at the same time.
TFTestkits.net

Until you get a test kit I'd use Leslie's but don't buy anything from them. When I was changing over I used this line "I think I have some at home all ready". You need to keep some FC in there and if you take a sample in there every day or couple days you can get an average reading of CYA. You might have some results from the last week or two. I know from my pool store they could vary from one day to the next even if I wasn't adding any CYA. But if you get a few you can guess where you're at.
Need to get the pH around 7.4, find out what the CYA is and then make sure you're keeping the FC in the proper range to prevent it going green !!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.