Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chems in hot pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Chems in hot pool

Water temps vary between 90 in AM and 100 in PM, put as much shade as possible over pool, but should we do more?
    Air Temp: 105
    Temp: 90
    Ph: 7.4
    FC: 3.5
    CC: 0.5
    TC: 4.0
    TA: 80
    CH: 500
    CYA: 50
    15 K gal play pool (3.5' either end n 5.5' in middle) with attached 6 seat spa, all plaster. Built 2012. 3/4hp Pentair Whisper-Flo pump (model 177449) and a 2hp Pentair Super-Flo for spa (model 196240), Pentair Clear-Plus 350 sq ft filter (model CCP320) Master-Temp 400 gas heater. Use 16 mil blanket to control heat n evap. Live in desert, summer 114 winter 70's.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chems in hot pool

As I see it, you're dealing with several different issues. First and foremost, you need to get your FC up. For a CYA of 50, you need to keep it around 6 ppm and never lower than 4ppm, especially with your temps. You might be able to bump your CYA up a tad to 60-70 to account for chlorine loss for the sun, but then you would need to keep your FC even higher, so keep that in mind.

Second, your CH is a little on the high side. Only way to lower is a partial drain and refill (250-350 for plaster is ideal). But the question is, what is the CH of your fill water?

I lowered my pool temp from 94 to 87 in one night by running my water features on high for 6 hours, so it is doable. You need aeration and at night is the key
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I do try to keep FC at 6ppm, but now that summer temps are here it falls rapidly.
    1) Should I be testing more than once in the AM?
    2) If yes, the pool gets full sun all day, with the exception of two 11'x11' cantilever umbrellas. Can I get good FC in full sun?
    3) Will it harm pool/equipment to leave CH elevated? My CH is 550 today (repeated 2x's), and fill water is 225. Understand partial drain, but we're in a drought so I have to get a permit and if like last year pay a $100 fine for water use.
    15 K gal play pool (3.5' either end n 5.5' in middle) with attached 6 seat spa, all plaster. Built 2012. 3/4hp Pentair Whisper-Flo pump (model 177449) and a 2hp Pentair Super-Flo for spa (model 196240), Pentair Clear-Plus 350 sq ft filter (model CCP320) Master-Temp 400 gas heater. Use 16 mil blanket to control heat n evap. Live in desert, summer 114 winter 70's.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Keep your pH on the low side of our range (7.2 - 7.4) and you can likely work around the CH problem. Replace it if you can but that CH is manageable with pH control.

How do you chlorinate?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I use 10% calcium chloride. Usually get it at HomeDepot, Walmart or Leslies, which ever one is cheapest.

Chlorinate once per day, and do try to keep it at 6+. Considering doing it more frequently due to summer light/heat, heavy summer swimming, and our Boxer is in and out multiple times a day. Any thoughts on more frequent chlorination?