CYA zero?

Just opened...using TFP Test kit...it appears CYA may be zero (black spot in tube never grays out even when tube is full!). Can that happen in one winter? If so, assume this is first thing to tackle or should I start putting bleach in pool immediately (green), OR deal with high ph first?

Current NO CHLORINE; no apparent CYA, PH 8.2+ and TA 7

When should I SLAM...now or later?

Lower pH to 7.2 first, then hit it with some bleach, targeting 10 ppm. See if you can measure anywhere near that FC after circulating and brushing for 10 minutes, then get back to us with your results. Measure FC and CC only after 10 minutes.

You're unable to hold FC and your CC is climbing rapidly. This means you likely have an ammonia issue due to your CYA being converted to ammonia over the winter. What you should do at this point is keep doing that process until your FC holds at nearly what you targeted 10-15 minutes after adding. So... keep targeting 10 ppm with your additions, testing every 10-15 minutes after dosing for FC and CC. This is burning through the ammonia. Ammonia reacts VERY quickly with chlorine so your FC will not hold and your CC values will rise until all the ammonia has been oxidized. Then you will be able to measure an FC greater than a few ppm.

You're going to need quite a lot of bleach, depending on how much ammonia you have...

Also, did you add acid and remeasure pH?

You're unable to hold FC and your CC is climbing rapidly. This means you likely have an ammonia issue due to your CYA being converted to ammonia over the winter. What you should do at this point is keep doing that process until your FC holds at nearly what you targeted 10-15 minutes after adding. So... keep targeting 10 ppm with your additions, testing every 10-15 minutes after dosing for FC and CC. This is burning through the ammonia. Ammonia reacts VERY quickly with chlorine so your FC will not hold and your CC values will rise until all the ammonia has been oxidized. Then you will be able to measure an FC greater than a few ppm.

You're going to need quite a lot of bleach, depending on how much ammonia you have...

Also, did you add acid and remeasure pH?

Yes...sorry...got it to 7.2...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well that was quick! Try to get it up to 10 ppm with the next dose. If you hit that or almost, then it's time to get some CYA in the pool and continue with the SLAM. Use Pool Math to figure out how much CYA you'll need to hit 30 ppm CYA. Add that by putting it into socks and put the socks either into your skimmer basket or hang them in front of a return. Then you assume that your CYA is 30 and target 12 ppm for your SLAM.

Well that was quick! Try to get it up to 10 ppm with the next dose. If you hit that or almost, then it's time to get some CYA in the pool and continue with the SLAM. Use Pool Math to figure out how much CYA you'll need to hit 30 ppm CYA. Add that by putting it into socks and put the socks either into your skimmer basket or hang them in front of a return. Then you assume that your CYA is 30 and target 12 ppm for your SLAM.

Last reading fc 9.5 and cc 0.5...on way! Looks like I was lucky and got it right away...

Because my ph was high and cya low, I used dichlor shock (read that it raises cya and lowers ph in pool school so said why not use it!) for first 2 shocks vs. bleach...cya is now 20-25 and ph (with ph down too) got to 7.2 pretty quick...so I think I will SLAM from here...all liquid bleach from 2 shocks ago!...water still green but chemistry seems good, just backwashed as well...

thx all and wish me luck!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.