Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you keep ladders and railings shiny?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you keep ladders and railings shiny?

How do you keep your ladders and railings shiny? Ours have water spots all over them and I can't keep them looking clean. Is there anything I can apply to them to help them keep their shine?

Yes, I know that sounds OCD but with my sparkly TFP pool I want my equipment to look the same way!

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you keep ladders and railings shiny?

Unless you are talking about sanding, buffing and waxing, an easy quick shine can be had by using: Marvell Mystery Oil. You can find it at home improvement stores, auto supplies, Amazon, etc. Quickest shine and easiest bang for the buck. If you want a mirror shine, you will have to use some elbow grease and go the other route.
    '91 Chicago-land Vinyl In-ground Pool: 41x16. 6' deep end / about 20,000 gallons. Hayward Perflex DE filter. Polaris Watermark G1000 Chlorinator (used by previous owner, not me). Hayward H200 Heater. Aux Pump for pressure side robot. (2) skimmers opposite of each other mid-pool, (1) bottom drain, (2) returns on opposite ends of pool lengthwise.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks I'll check it out!

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I noticed my ladders had some water spots today.

From the S.R. Smith website:
    Maintenance Schedule
    Daily All stainless steel pool rails should be rinsed with fresh water each day.

Weekly Wash all surfaces with fresh, warm water and a mild soap. Our recommendation is Bon Ami.
    Use a soft cloth to gently scrub stubborn spots.
    Rinse thoroughly with fresh water.
    Dry completely with a soft cloth.
    Optional: Apply a thin layer of a high-quality automotive wax for added protection.

As Needed Remove any visible signs of rust or staining with a nylon brush.
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

My Brother-in-law used to use Bar Keepers Friend on his. His always looked new and shiny
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump