Pool pump motors keep burning out

Paciga

Jun 4, 2014
Orlando, Fl
It seems like I keep burning out my pool pump motors. Is there possibly something that is causing it, or is it just bad luck? The original one that came with the house burnt out. Im not sure how old it was. I bought a Century Motor replacement that lasted less than a year. I bought that one Amazon and had issues getting it replaced via warranty so I had to purchase another new Century Motor from Leslies. That one just burnt out after 1 year and 10 months.

So one motor lasted less than a year, and the other lasted less than 2 years.

When I say they burnt out what is happening is they turn on run for a bit (an hour maybe, not really sure) get really hot then just turn off. I did have some algae recently that I was trying to get rid of, so there have been a couple days of 24+ hours of constant running. Not sure if that caused anything.

Anyway, is there something that could possibly be causing this that I can look into?

Thanks.

did someone before you change out the motor but left the pump side the same, you may have a smaller motor for the pump... EG: 1hp motor on a 2hp pump would play havoc on a motor and kill it pretty fast...

could you please fill out your signature, it helps us know what equipment you have so we can help with recommendations and see what is going on :)
Trouble Free Pool

did someone before you change out the motor but left the pump side the same, you may have a smaller motor for the pump... EG: 1hp motor on a 2hp pump would play havoc on a motor and kill it pretty fast...

could you please fill out your signature, it helps us know what equipment you have so we can help with recommendations and see what is going on :)
Trouble Free Pool

Im not at home at the moment, so I dont know my exact equipment. It is possible the previous owner had an undersized motor on the pump. I have a Hayward Super Pump II. How would I know what type of motor to put on it? Pool is 14,000 gallons. Filter is Hayward SwimClear 4 cartridge I believe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.