Fill and start up with new liner

BobbyR

Jun 1, 2013
Toronto, Ont
We just had a new liner installed and the pool is now up and running with a fresh fill of city water. At this point, all looks well. The water is clean and clear.
Current test results...

FC - 3
CC - 0
TA - 110
pH - 7.5
CYA - 5

The fill water came from the tap with TA at 110 so I have added no baking soda and the pH is pretty much stable around 7.5 so that looks good. The Recommended level table shows that TA should be between 50 and 90 with a manually chlorinated vinyl pool. Am I ok at 110? I am currently chlorinating with pucks, keeping the FC level at or under 3ppm. I have not added any stabilizer as I thought I would just use pucks until the CYA level rose to 30 or 40 ppm. So far, according to the pool store, my CYA has risen to just 5ppm. (My test kit has no more CYA testing reagent).

Is it ok to bring the CYA level up the way I am doing or should I be adding stabilizer. The reason I'm doing it this way is that we will be away for a couple of weeks in July and I'd like to be able to use the chlorinator. If I add stabilizer now, I won't be able to use pucks when we're away without raising the CYA beyond where I want it. Is there any down side to this approach? Am I risking bleaching my liner with the low CYA levels?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.