Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does Chlorine Ruin pool Liners

1. Back To Top    #1

toms river nj

Does Chlorine Ruin pool Liners

I am concerned that a high chlorine level will ruin the pool liner . My pool is light green went to pool store and they sold me a quart of algeaside and said wait 24 hours and vacuum to waste. I did this 6/19/16 at 3pm . Pool still light green . My chlorine is at a 4

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Does Chlorine Ruin pool Liners

A high chlorine level can fade a liner more quickly. However, it depends on how much CYA is in the pool relative to the chlorine level in the pool. If you maintained a FC level of 1 ppm with 0 ppm CYA, that would be MUCH harsher on your pool liner than 10 ppm FC level with 50 ppm CYA. Understanding how CYA greatly moderates the strength of hypochlorite and holds most FC in reserve is central to what we teach here at TFP. It's seldom explained or understood by pool stores or pool builders.

Pool Water Chemistry
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Sacramento, CA

A high chlorine level unprotected by stabilizer may over time bleach your pool liner. So will sunlight. Raising the chlorine level in your pool while doing a SLAM as we advise here -- won't generally harm your liner.

Algaicide will not kill algae once established. It is a preventative. Some of the copper ones might, but they add copper. Do you have full test results? If you do post them and we can help.

Suggestion. Get a good test kit, read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry in Pool School and free yourself from the pool store.

If you do as we suggest on here your will be rid of your alage forever in a week.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Central Valley CA

Waht JVTrain said... Safe levels depend on your CYA levels have you had a chance to take a look at the Pool School link? If not start with the ABC's once you are done with that there is a chlorine / CYA chart in the handy reference section that will give you ranges to keep your FC aka chlorine level depending or your CYA level.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, built Oct 2015, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, 10GPDStenner for chlorine, 3GPD Stenner for MA, TF-100.