Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinator makes sucking noise when pump turns off; air leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorinator makes sucking noise when pump turns off; air leak?

When the pump turns off, my Hayward inline chlorinator (for tablets) makes a sucking/ gurgling sound for a few seconds. Does this indicate a problem/air leak in the system? I have no cavitation in the pump basket, and I don't lose prime while the pump is off, but I do have a small return side leak right at the equipment pad. I am trying to debug a DE-in-the-pool issue and am searching for causes while I replace hardware.
    30kgal in-ground/steel with vinyl liner, aluminum bullnose coping || 1 H.P. superpump || Polaris P9550 robot|| Hayward 48sq ft DE filter || Taylor K2006 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorinator makes sucking noise when pump turns off; air leak?

I have the Hayward offline Chlorinator and I have a similar gurgling problem. Like you my pump does not loose prime but my return hoses fill up with air so when the pump refires it bubbles at first.
    20x40 in-ground Liner Pool, 2 Skimmers & 2 returns. 1.5 hp Starite pump and Hayward EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Chlorinator makes sucking noise when pump turns off; air leak?

Interesting; I have the same bubbling, I hadnt considered it a "problem" before. I don't really use it, considering just replacing it with a short piece of pvc
    30kgal in-ground/steel with vinyl liner, aluminum bullnose coping || 1 H.P. superpump || Polaris P9550 robot|| Hayward 48sq ft DE filter || Taylor K2006 kit