Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water height for skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Oakbank, Canada

Water height for skimmer

When using a skimmer such as the Haywood wall mount version, what is the intended height of water for it to have proper operation? 1" above bottom of opening, 2" 3" ???
    I would like to put one on my 16' Ultra, but don't really want to lose water height.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Worcester, MA Suburb

Re: Water height for skimmer

I keep my water lever about 1.5" from the top of the opening. If much lower, then the skimmer starts to suck air and creates a vortex in the skimmer. But your results may vary depending on the power of your pump.
    Premier (Esther Williams) 24' x 52" Round AGP (13,500 gl.), Hayward 24" Pro-Series S244T Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, AquaRite SWG, AquaComfort ACT-1100 Heat Pump, Jandy/Zodiac iAqualink Automation System with iPhone App, Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40
    My New Pool

3. Back To Top    #3
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

The usual height is about halfway... it all depends where your installing it... some of the good people here have installed above the main seam... others below it....
    I'm sure one of those people will chime in shortly... good luck with the install.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    intex ultra frame round pool 6831g totally hard plumbed with hayward variable speed pump and jandy cs150 cartridge filter... plus a solar heating roof system with a .75 onga pump and 24" sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Stockholm, Sweden

Regardless of how high you mount the skimmer, the water level needs to be at 1/2-2/3 up the skimmer height. If you mount it high enough, you wont lose any water height.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12' (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO Saltwater System, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

5. Back To Top    #5
    Miami, FL

The higher you install the skimmer the more you have to watch for your water level, it can be done and is good to not loose water level, I am planning to install a automatic water level to compensate for this, but I think it's worth....
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Simi Valley, CA

With my setup I need to keep the water above the 1/2 way point or I start pulling air into the filter.