Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Effects of Potassium water softener on pool water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Effects of Potassium water softener on pool water?

Does anyone know what the effects of using a potassium chloride water softener, as the fill water, will have on a plaster pool? I've been told that it will deteriorate the surface of the pool walls and add calcium to the water. Any truth to that? We have a whole-house water filter/softener that also goes to the pool fill valve.

Thanks!
    26' x 14' 18,400 gallon freshwater IG plaster w/spa; American Sandpiper high flow sand filter; Raypak RP2100 digital pump; rooftop solar heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Effects of Potassium water softener on pool water?

I know some people use that salt as salt for the pool (i.e. salt water chlorine generators), so I would imagine it'd be fine. use the search function to search for potassium chloride to find a few posts about it. it sounds like you don't have a choice anyway. monitoring your levels would be key, as jasonlion has said that people can manage up to about 1200ppm calcium hardness if I remember correctly, as long as they keep their pH a bit lower. I'm sure he will clarify soon. as for a story about testing water, the two local pool stores (pinch a penny and leslies) both told me my calcium hardness was 400ppm. when I got my own kit from www.tftestkits.net, turns out it was actually 620 and I was having scaling issues in my pool. so if CH is going to be an issue for you, I would highly recommend a good test kit.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

A water softener removes calcium and replaces it with salt, in your case potassium chloride. Once in the pool, potassium chloride behaves just like regular salt. Topping off the pool from a water softener is fine, though water softeners really aren't designed to handle the kind of volume of water that a pool needs.

The main thing you need to do is to keep an eye on your salt and calcium levels. You don't want salt going over 5000, and you don't want CH getting too low (in a plaster pool anyway). Most of the time it will be easy to keep both of these levels within bounds, though is extreme cases, especially in arid climates, the salt level can get too high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by perryperson
    Does anyone know what the effects of using a potassium chloride water softener, as the fill water, will have on a plaster pool? I've been told that it will deteriorate the surface of the pool walls and add calcium to the water. Any truth to that? We have a whole-house water filter/softener that also goes to the pool fill valve.

Thanks!
    Your softener should also have a bypass. I would just bypass it, fill the pool and be done. Also, as Jason stated they are not set to handle that much volume. You beads will become super saturated before your softener is ready to backwash. Once it gets to that point it will no longer act as a softener.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

I fill my pool with softened water and add calcium when needed (usually about once a year) to maintian my CH in proper range. The advantage of using the water from the water softener is that it will also remove any other metals like iron that might be present in your fill water.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The advantage of using the water from the water softener is that it will also remove any other metals like iron that might be present in your fill water.
    Amen, Brother!

Perryperson may find that a softener is beneficial to him/her rather than harmful. My thinking is while they cannot handle a new fill, most softeners have the capacity to condition your refill water (like waterbear does) over the summer.

In fact, I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned this website http://www.easywater.com They have a different technology and a model they say is designed for pools. I have no other information but would be curious if anyone has any experience with this product. It is pretty heavily advertised here in Raleigh
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    In fact, I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned this website http://www.easywater.com They have a different technology and a model they say is designed for pools. I have no other information but would be curious if anyone has any experience with this product. It is pretty heavily advertised here in Raleigh
    Snake oil.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Snake oil
    . Yikes! Does that mean the potato I planted in the back yard (under a full moon, of course) won't help much, either?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Snake oil.
    Jason took the words right out of my mouth! If you read their website their device turns scale into scale!