Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar cover spins

1. Back To Top    #1

solar cover spins

Hello,
    I'm having trouble with my solar cover spinning.. Any ideas how to keep it from spinning.. I'm using the eyeball for my return. Should i try a elbow then the return. I'm using a ladderwhich should hold it or do i need to cut the cover so it lies flat inbetween the ladder legs?

Thanks for any idea's
    Fran
    AG 18 feet accross 52" high pool wall 7000 gallons .... pool math = 7600
    Hayward extreme cartridge filter 100sq feet
    pool is heated by propane Hayward heater
    pool installed aug 12 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar cover spins

It is generally best to cut the cover to lie flat on the water so that the wind doesn't pick it up. I've never heard of one spinning from the water rotation. Kinda funny!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I was not trying to be funny ...Should I take a picture of my bunched up cover.. mabye I didn't explain well

4. Back To Top    #4

I was picturing the cover spinning on top of the water, wheel of fortune style. Bunching up is probably more from the cover sticking up and catching the wind. I would cut the liner so that it lies flat on the water to see if that fixes it. Seems like it will.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Tonight I'll cut the cover .. hope that works. By the way ...if I take out my ladder so the cover lies flat the water current will have it spinning in no time. I dont think it's from the wind....

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think the spinning is really an issue. If you cut slots for the ladder than you have to make sure you get it on the same way each time which could prove to be a pain. It's probably best to just pull the ladder and just let it do its thing. If it's cut to the proper diameter of the pool than it should just lay on the water. Only thing I could foresee would be as it spins it might catch water and it'd get on top of the cover.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -