Hayward slide valve open by itself?

Jun 10, 2016
New Jersey
I have a crazy question. I have a hayward slide valve attached to a Hayward DE filter. For the last few years I have been unable to rotate the handle to set the locking pins in place. It never seemed to be a problem as in no water leaked through the backwash hose when in down filtering position. The filter turned on this morning and when I came back a few hours later I noticed the pool water level had dropped 6 inches. When I went to look at the the filter I immediately saw that the push-pull valve was in the up position and water was streaming out the backwash hose. My question is can this have happened from water pressure or did somebody deliberately pull up the valve to start emptying the pool? I would appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks

Welcome to TFP :)

I have not heard of a valve moving by itself, maybe someone moved it not knowing what it was...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.