Fill Water loaded with PH

TJTJ

Oct 18, 2015
Orinda, California
It's warmer now and I'm having to replace water that is evaporating. My PH is uncontrollable along with TA. I tested my fill water twice in the last two days and I'm sure this is the problem. See attached pic. I can understand why the PH in the pool would be going up, but not sure why TA would also be rising. Are the two !00 percent correlated? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 77
All the tests are good

PH 7.5
CYA 30
CH 310
TA ~ 7.2
FC 8
CC 0

PH and TA keep rising

Maybe the issue for testing the fill water is that I'm using a small amount of water to test. 3 gallon bucket. I should purchase a 5 gallon bucket or larger?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using 25 ml to test TA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TA ~ 7.2???

TA is a buffer for pH. The higher the TA, the higher and faster the pH will climb. Low TAs (say around 40 and below) can cause the pH to crash (lower). If your TA is truly 30 then your pH would not likely be rising, it would be falling or at least holding steady. The pH would theoretically stop rising (if the source of the rise is from aeration) at around 8.02 due to it being at equilibrium with the carbon dioxide content of air and rise very slowly well before that point.

Your original concern was with the pH and TA constantly rising. A TA of 30 does not indicate that the TA is rising at all unless you are intentionally adding baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and then adding tons of acid to lower the pH.

Can you be a little more specific about what the issue is and what you are hoping to achieve?

What is meant by using a bucket?

TA is 30 from the fill water. Approximately 14 ph or so from the fill water. I attached a picture of the PH reading of the fill water. I put water from the source (house) into a 3 gallon bucket. I understand why my PH is going up, water I add to pool is very high in PH. Is this what is also making the pool's TA rising? I'm not sure. Could it be something else? TA from the fill water is only 30, so why is my TA climbing too? I hope I am making sense. Thanks,

A pH of 14 would be far from healthy. Drain cleaner has a pH of 14, I doubt thats whats coming out of your faucet. How are you measuring this?

"TA from the pool is approximately 7.2. I realize that we multiply by 10 and we should obtain a even number"

Are you saying it took 7 drops of R-0009 to turn the 25ml sample red? If so, your TA is 70. How did you arrive at 7.2 drops?

I'm still unclear on what the issue is that you are trying to solve. Can you give a little more detail?

I'm guessing at a PH of 14. It could be 10. I'm looking at the results after 5 drops and it is very pink / red. The PH is very high/.

I'm just trying to determine what is causing the TA to climb. In the past 4 weeks, I'd say every week it goes from 7 to 8. The only thing I'm doing differently from the past is adding water to the pool. The fill water is very high in PH. I add acid once a week in order to lower the TA from 80 to 70, then goes back up. Do you think the high PH fill water is causing the TA to climb? thank you.

PH doesn't make the TA rise. Really the only reason for a rise in TA is from outside sources like adding something with bicarbonate alkalinity.

I still really doubt your fill water has a TA of 30. Your TA would be falling, not rising.

Needing to add acid weekly is not out of the ordinary. I use an acid pump that delivers 22oz per day and even that doesn't keep up.

Try targeting a pH of 7.8 and a TA of 50-60 and see how that works out for you.

The pH sample you pictured above looks to be around 8.3- 8.4 which is pretty typical of municipal water supplies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.