Struggling with Salt Water Generator

wkhedr

Jun 18, 2016
Shrewsbury
I have been struggling exactly the same way and I think I started to understand what is going on soon.
My question for you is How do you know that your cell is generating chlorine?

I had the Scc-25 and replaced it with this one:
Resilence Salt Cell Compupool A5-E5C | Pool Supply 4 Less

I am in Boston, so swimming season is only three months.
I got it in June 2013 and after two months the water started to leak from the electric cables :(
They replaced the cell and I was able to change chlorine production from 10-100%.

Used the cell three months in 2014 and two months in 2015 and again the cell got stuck at 10% chlorine production that I can change. It didn't cross my mind it is gone bad, but the water looked bad and I shocked the pool to close it before the winter even the water was dirty.
I opened it a month ago and I can't tell you how bad the pool was, I am still pouring chlorine in for four weeks.

Anyway I checked the cell and cleaned it, looks fine except one of the connectors in the power cable is wet again and rusted, seems water is leaking again.
To confirm I disconnected the power of the cell and measured the resistance between the two nodes and it was infinity even the controller tells me it is at 10% production. But it's impossible it could be generating anything because no electric current can flow throw it. I measured the resistance while the salty water is flowing through it.

I took my old cell and measured the resistance while it was empty of water and it was infinity then I filled it with pool water and resistance came down to some number which was expected.

This told me immediately that my new cell is bad and it worked for five months, I can't return it because it's more than two years but I will contact them anyway. Also I am not sure which brand I should trust to buy again.

So what I am trying to say, my swc controller showing me production at the lowest only 10% without being able to change it was an indicator that something was not working and there was no chlorine being generated.

Here's a quick and dirty way to see if you are actually get chlorine production. Take a test strip and stick it in an outflow port of your pool. (ya ya, I know nobody here like test strips, but I use them for quick and dirty readings)

So turn on your system and make sure the setting is high so the chlorination is working. Super chlorination will force it on as well. If you haven't chlorinated your pool by some other means then stick the strip in the pool, you should get a lower reading in the pool.. then move that same strip to an outflow nozzle and you should see it detect more chlorine in the outflow.

My test strips are show purple for Chlorine.. they are light purple in the pool and then turn darker purple in when I stuff it the nozzle

you could also stuff a hose in the out flow nozzle and collect some water that way if you have a test kit.
Mark

Hi Mark
I knew for sure today that the cell is gone. It's a waste of 300 dollars, worked for five months only. I read many complaints about the same issue, water coming out of the cell through the cable, lol.

I am sorry for the confusion, but I'd like to know if anyone can advise for a good replacement for the SCC-25 chlorinator.

Thanks all

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That's a bummer! There was not a warranty on the unit for the first year? ugh

So are you looking at replacing your whole SWG system or just looking for another cell?

If you are looking to replacing the whole system I can only speak to what I have. I installed a Hayward (Goldline/Aquarite) controller with a T-15 cell. I got it almost 10 years out of the first cell before replacing it this summer. So for that kind of longevity I kind of like it. The cell is warrantied for 3yrs and it seems many people get 5 yrs or more from them. The other system a lot of people here seem to have are from IntelliChlor. But this is the place to get recommendations for SWG systems.

Actually it had two years warranty. It broke after two months, got replaced and I used it for month and closed the pool, then used it for two more month last year and it broke in August but I didn't realize that until I opened the pool this year. The swimming season in Boston is very short, from June to September ( most people close it in August).
I believe the controller is working fine, so I need to replace the cell again, I am trying to avoid changing the pipes if I am going to replace the controller.

It seems all the scc-25 replacement are cheaply made. I found something online that says five years limited warranty, not sure if I can trust it or not, I have been spending money like crazy on this pool since I bought this house, lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.