Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Still getting algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Still getting algae

I'm still kind of new to this site. Every year I seem to get some green around the edge of the pool. Or I get some dirt spots and when I vacuum them, I notice some green underneath them. I just tested...

FC 18
    CC 0
    Cya 80

How am I getting algae when my chlorine is that high?! The filter is running 8 hours a day, although it hasn't been used much for a few days.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Still getting algae

With CYA at 80, you need 30ppm to shock it effectively
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. How did algae even start keeping it so high? What's the lowest I should go for maintenance?

4. Back To Top    #4

Use the cya/chlorine chart that is on the website. It includes min FC, and levels to shock based on CYA concentration.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Good advice!

Here is the FC/CYA Chart
    And here is how to SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach