confused about skimmer sealer

Apr 16, 2016
Derby, KS
I've been researching it and there's a lot of info but I still don't understand how the butterfly gasket goes on. Does it split over both edges around the inside of the skimmer? Another thought I had was to use the inner liner material that would normally be cut out, fold it to the outside and bolt it between the skimmer plates. Along with the butterfly gasket on the inside and maybe some lube, that seems like it would work. Here's a link to my liner id question thread that turned into a build thread. I should probably just create a build thread but the sun is out and much to be done.

New here from Kansas with liner ID question - used pool, new build

- - - Updated - - -

Also, would anyone ever dare to re-use a skimmer gasket? The local pool shop is open today so I can get a new one I think but do I really need to?

The butterfly gasket goes around the opening for the skimmer. It is seated just on both sides of the metal wall. The liner goes over the gasket on the inside and is sandwiched between the gasket and the inner trim ring of the skimmer. The outter part of the skimmer then meets up with the gasket on the outside.
For the peace of mind I would replace it if it looks indented from the previous installation. Probably not very expensive.

So far so good on getting the pool opened and getting the pump running. Put new sand in the filter and out of the three pumps I got with the system, one of them actually works! It's awesome! I do have a couple of minor hose leaks that I need to deal with but I also made the mistake of somehow blasting sand and some debris into the pool through the return line. I have a little whale shaped vacuum that attaches to the skimmer but for the life of me I can't seem to find the attachment that fits into the skimmer. Not sure if I ever got one. Anyway, I'll either have to buy one from locally, online, or find a way to make one. Anyone ever accomplish this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.