Palm Tree Help

texasgal78,

I got the palm food and fungicide on Amazon. I deployed the fertilizer today but I'm going to wait until it gets a little cooler before I do the copper fungicide. Thanks again for the great info.

Yes. They added time to the water and the sickly palm has one green frond growing strong and it has refused to die. The new fronds on the other look good and healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like transplant shock. Sometimes when you take a plant from a container and put it in the ground, it just doesn't thrive and eventually dies. Happens all the time.

116797f5b283a82f4d573c3e76e744be.jpg

These two things he said were a must. And he said my drip system I have installed wouldn't be enough water and that I need to water on top of that at least 2-3 times a week for like 3 minutes

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

What is the fungicide for?

According to the writeup in her other post (and things I've read subsequently), there are a number of fungal and bacterial leaf disorders that palms are very susceptible too. I've looked at some dead fronds and often wondered if what I was seeing was a fungal disease.

I know my citrus trees can suffer from fungal leaf problems as well.

Oh, and FYI, if you dumped that entire pint of fungicide in the pool, it would only raise your copper levels by 0.7ppm...ya know, since we're on a pool forum and all ;)

Ok. I put down the fertilizer today. As I pulled back the weed barrier, I noticed ant colonies at the base and roots of every Palm tree. I read they help the soil and don't harm the roots or tree but it's hard to think they couldn't be harmful in some way.

Ok. I put down the fertilizer today. As I pulled back the weed barrier, I noticed ant colonies at the base and roots of every Palm tree. I read they help the soil and don't harm the roots or tree but it's hard to think they couldn't be harmful in some way.

Earthworms would be a lot better but ants are harmless. They're just attracted to the moisture. You could always put down some ant bait to kill the colony if you're worried about them becoming a problem for people.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How are your palms doing? I planted several within the last several months, and so afar they are all hanging in there ok. I have a couple of windmills that have bent fronds, but my back yard gets a fair amount of wind, and it bends them. I think they are healthy enough, and keep showing new growth, I probably wouldn't buy them again. My other palms are more resistant to the wind, and look better. You happen to be near a guy that grows alot of palms. I've bought a few from him, and have been impressed. His website is:

North Texas Cold Hardy Palms

I have no affiliation, just a satisfied customer. I also bought a few palms from the place in McKinney mentioned above, and they are doing well also.

FWIW, I had one CA Fan palm I put in , that immediately went into distress, I mean it looked terrible! All but 2-3 of the fronds turned brown, and soft. Upon investigation, I found the ground soaked. drenched. I found there was alot of overspray from a new sprinkler head I put in, and that I had too many drip emitters there also. I spread them out a bit, and readjusted that one head. I then pulled the palm, and replanted with fresh dirt all around it. So far it is doing well.

I have mine on drip lines, like you do. I've used the Carl Pool stuff, and it seems ok. What seems to make a huge difference in my beds is the use of Garrett Juice and Compost Tea. It's kind of a local thing here in the metroplex I think. I can't tell if it helps the palms or not, but it brought some other new plants, especially 4 large wax myrtles, I put in back from the brink. I've been using it for about the last 2-3 months. Sounds silly, but most things seem to flower within 2-3 days of me pouring this concoction around the bases. Might help, I don't think it can hurt.

Hope your plants are doing better in this cooler weather!

I have three and only my biggest one has some bent fronds, which I actually only notice when this thread started. Bent fronds on the lower ones are not concerning, but when they are new ones coming out and are bending, that is a sign of distress from what I understand. I THINK my problem was over watering. I stopped hand watering for now and I have had the drop system on twice a day, which I also cut back. I guess time will tell...
4622bf7182878e7c48d6ef084329334d.jpg

This one seems to be fine
9216a4bd8709fe398bb4112e816dba86.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ever since moving to a hose based watering method (saturating the ground 2-3 times per week during the dry weather) and adding in the fertilizer spikes and palm tree food, my palms look A LOT happier. My largest palm recent sent out some new shoots and the younger ones look healthy but a bit yellow-green (chlorotic) instead of deep green. I have very calcareous soil here in AZ (pH 8.0+ and LOADS of calcium) so all of my landscaping that isn't native desert plantings needs some help from a very specialized chelated iron source -

Amazon.com : Grow More 6546 EDDHA Iron Chelate, 1-Pound : Patio, Lawn Garden

The EDDHA-Fe chelate is the only product that will work to deliver iron to my plants as standard ferrous sulfate is completely useless when the pH is higher than 7.5. So, between the iron chelate and specialized palm food, my plants are looking a lot better.

My next step is to use the copper fungicide now that the weather is cooling off. I don't think my palms have any significant fungal problems but I'll apply it as a preventative anyway.

And, I also discovered that my palms had a boron deficiency (even though I borate my pool!!! I should just irrigate with pool water)...I had "accordion leaf", see here -

http://collier.ifas.ufl.edu/CommHort/CommHortPubs/Boron%20DeficiencyOct05.pdf

I'm going to wait for another few shoots to come out to see if the problem still persists (I was only on one branch). If so, I have plenty of granular boric acid I can add to the soil during my next few feedings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.