12 Yr Old Hayward DE 60 spits DE on startup

jbailey895

Apr 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Just re-surfaced the pool, and completely cleaned out my DE filter. Grids are older, but no noticeable tears. When I put it back together and put about 4 lbs of DE (I had been using about 8-10 lbs, but PB said 4 was good), I get a sporadic "spitting" of DE shot out the return into the pool, both in the spa and the pool. Its not costant, and not a ton, but its noticeable ( I just resurfaced in midnight blue so the DE is very obvious on the pool floor).

Do I need new grids, or is there any other explanation? seems consistent with a tear in a grid, but its intermittent, and I'm within the first week of my re-surfacing, so I don't want to jeopardize the pool or chemistry.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
Joel

Thanks, didn't see that response yesterday. Some DE discharge again today upon startup, I think I'll end up replacing the entire grid assembly and manifold, does anyone have opinions on OEM (Hayward) vs. generic? Generic is about $220, OEM is almost $500, but I know, usually "you get what you pay for". Just making sure it applies with the grids as well.

Thanks
Joel

More DE in the pool today, so I pulled the trigger on a full assembly (manifold, grids and grid bottom) on Amazon, about $300 total. Hopefully it will eliminate the stuff being dumped in my pretty new pool. I didn't know whether i had a 48' or 60' filter, but I measured the outside height of my filter, and it must be a 48', because its 40" high. The O-ring didn't solve the issue, so hopefully this will.

btw, the admins flagged my post for using the obscene language "__"?
Cheers,
Joel

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.