Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 12 Yr Old Hayward DE 60 spits DE on startup

1. Back To Top    #1

12 Yr Old Hayward DE 60 spits DE on startup

Just re-surfaced the pool, and completely cleaned out my DE filter. Grids are older, but no noticeable tears. When I put it back together and put about 4 lbs of DE (I had been using about 8-10 lbs, but PB said 4 was good), I get a sporadic "spitting" of DE shot out the return into the pool, both in the spa and the pool. Its not costant, and not a ton, but its noticeable ( I just resurfaced in midnight blue so the DE is very obvious on the pool floor).

Do I need new grids, or is there any other explanation? seems consistent with a tear in a grid, but its intermittent, and I'm within the first week of my re-surfacing, so I don't want to jeopardize the pool or chemistry.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
    Joel
    Carlsbad, CA
    17,500 gal rectangular Midnight blue Quartzscape, Pentair Intelliflo, Poolstore Vergnugen, Aquarite Salinator renovated 2016 Spring

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 12 Yr Old Hayward DE 60 spits DE on startup

Here's the manual: https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/man...rid-DExx20.pdf
    I'd use the recommended amount of DE specified by Hayward (7.5 lbs).
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, didn't see that response yesterday. Some DE discharge again today upon startup, I think I'll end up replacing the entire grid assembly and manifold, does anyone have opinions on OEM (Hayward) vs. generic? Generic is about $220, OEM is almost $500, but I know, usually "you get what you pay for". Just making sure it applies with the grids as well.

Thanks
    Joel
    Carlsbad, CA
    17,500 gal rectangular Midnight blue Quartzscape, Pentair Intelliflo, Poolstore Vergnugen, Aquarite Salinator renovated 2016 Spring

4. Back To Top    #4

More DE in the pool today, so I pulled the trigger on a full assembly (manifold, grids and grid bottom) on Amazon, about $300 total. Hopefully it will eliminate the stuff being dumped in my pretty new pool. I didn't know whether i had a 48' or 60' filter, but I measured the outside height of my filter, and it must be a 48', because its 40" high. The O-ring didn't solve the issue, so hopefully this will.

btw, the admins flagged my post for using the obscene language "__"?
    Cheers,
    Joel
    Carlsbad, CA