Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting TA Down

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting TA Down

How do get my TA down?

Do I add the MA to lower the TA then use Soda Ash to raise the PH?

My current TA is 110, trying to lower it to 80.

Thank for the help.
    27K Gal, IG Plaster, Hayward EcoStar Variable Pump, Pentair DE FNS Plus Filter 24, Hayward AquaRite with extended life T-CELL-15
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting TA Down

You lower TA (and pH) with acid, then raise pH (only) with "aeration" as noted on the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    You lower TA (and pH) with acid, then raise pH (only) with "aeration" as noted on the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page.

Since I don't have a spa, fountains, etc. It did mention SWG, how does that work?

Also, are you able to swim during this process since the PH will drop so much?
    27K Gal, IG Plaster, Hayward EcoStar Variable Pump, Pentair DE FNS Plus Filter 24, Hayward AquaRite with extended life T-CELL-15
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Just a few questions first. How bad is your pH swings? I ask because 110 is really not that higg. TA is one that you should not focus on. There are always exceptions but for the most part TA will live where you get a stable pH. How new is the finish. Plaster will cause a rise from curing for up to a year. Just manage your pH and let your TA live where it wants.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

5. Back To Top    #5

Since you generally only lower pH to 7.0, swimming is not a problem. I agree with jcowart that if your pH is stable to just leave TA alone. Only adjust TA if you have to add acid every few days to keep pH in range.

I use this to aerate..Aerator.jpg

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

My Ph stays steady on with a TA of 110. If your Ph is stable don't fuss with your TA. Hey jcowart, I think we have the same pool!
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jcowart View Post
    Just a few questions first. How bad is your pH swings? I ask because 110 is really not that higg. TA is one that you should not focus on. There are always exceptions but for the most part TA will live where you get a stable pH. How new is the finish. Plaster will cause a rise from curing for up to a year. Just manage your pH and let your TA live where it wants.
    The plaster is older, not sure of the age. I just switched to a SWG from chlorine. But the pool school mentions to be at 80 TA and 7.6-7.8 for PH. I was trying to mirror what was recommend for a salt water pools.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Since you generally only lower pH to 7.0, swimming is not a problem. I agree with jcowart that if your pH is stable to just leave TA alone. Only adjust TA if you have to add acid every few days to keep pH in range.

I use this to aerate..Aerator.jpg

Jim R.
    My TA hasn't changed for months, I just add MA a few time a months to lower PH. Since I just switched to salt water is there anything that I should expect differently from chlorine pool? Cool Picture!
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit