Chlorine Consumption

May 9, 2016
The city, florida
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm averaging about 3-4ppm of chlorine consumption, daily. I live in sunny Florida with daytime temps reaching 95+ with no shade. I'm a new pool owner and have used the BBB method from the beginning. My pool (15000 gal) is plaster without SWG. My water is crystal clear and I'm losing ~1ppm with oclt. My recent readings are as follows:

FC: 3
CC: 0
Ph: 7.8
TA: 90
Ch: 230
CYA: 30

Is 3-4 ppm FC typical, given the above? I've been dumping 60-75 ozs per day of 10.5%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: In the summer, we like to see FC loss that does not exceed 4 ppm in a 24 hr period. You're right on that border, and given the fact your CYA is a bit low (in my opinion for FL), you could probably increase CYA to 40-50 very easily and save more FC. As long as your OCLT does not exceed 1 ppm, you should have no concerns with algae, so increasing the CYA would be the next logical step. Hope that helps.

Welcome. There are different factors, bathing load and sunlight are just two of them that will affect chlorine usage. I think you you may be on the edge of an algae bloom. 70 oz of bleach will raise your FC level by 4. You're at 3, it should never go below 2. I would recommend to SLAM, as insurance, nip it early if an issue, you shouldn't have a 1 ppm loss during the night. (No sunlight to break down the chlorine, it must be fighting something.) This is one of those times it's better to run a little higher than lower.
Enjoy the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.