Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Partial Draining question

1. Back To Top    #1

Partial Draining question

Having to do a partial drain on my pool today due to some high CH and high salt levels. Trusting the pool store to do these readings was a big mistake. My main question is this. Once the water gets below the return lines in the pool the water is just going to be gushing out of them. Is this ok? I have no way to shut them off.
    13,000 gallon / In Ground / Gunite with pebble finish / 2 speed Hayward Pump / Hayward C1750 cartridge filter / SGS Breeze 540 Chlorine Generator (40k gallon) / Pool 100% sunlight no cage

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Partial Draining question

Not sure of your set-up but if I am using filter pump to pump out my water I have it set to waste and no water will come out of return line.
    28,000 gals (20 x 40), IG, vinyl, Hayward Sand Filter, old Hayward
    Super pump (not sure of HP secondary to corrosion of label),

3. Back To Top    #3

There is a hose bib in between the pump and the filter. When the bib is open is allows water to flow out to adjust the water level but it doesn't completely divert all of the water from going through the rest of the system.
    13,000 gallon / In Ground / Gunite with pebble finish / 2 speed Hayward Pump / Hayward C1750 cartridge filter / SGS Breeze 540 Chlorine Generator (40k gallon) / Pool 100% sunlight no cage

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, that is fine. Just be sure to stay there to monitor the pump and turn it off when it starts to suck air. Are you familiar with the water table in your area? Are you planning to drain more than about half? Leave a foot or so in the shallow end to be on the safe side.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Not sure about the water table. I would assume it is a little high since the PB added extra pea gravel under the pool to stabilize. I am only going to drain about half anyways and refill. According to the calculator that is what I should do to correct the CH. The salt I can correct later after refilling.

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you sure you need to do this? Does your SWG still produce chlorine when your water has high salt? Mine does

My pool water CH is 850ppm and I can easily manage it. High CH/salt doesn't necessarily require a drain. You also live in FL, so rain water dilution (overflow) is always an option.

If you do drain, I would rent a submersible pump from a local Home Depot or Lowes as they will drain your pool A LOT faster than your pool pump and then you don't have to worry about the problem you are describing.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

That is a good point. The Pentair owner's manual states that it will give a high salt error at 4500 ppm but will continue to produce chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach