Partial Draining question

Jun 14, 2016
Orlando, FL
Having to do a partial drain on my pool today due to some high CH and high salt levels. Trusting the pool store to do these readings was a big mistake. My main question is this. Once the water gets below the return lines in the pool the water is just going to be gushing out of them. Is this ok? I have no way to shut them off.

Yes, that is fine. Just be sure to stay there to monitor the pump and turn it off when it starts to suck air. Are you familiar with the water table in your area? Are you planning to drain more than about half? Leave a foot or so in the shallow end to be on the safe side.

Not sure about the water table. I would assume it is a little high since the PB added extra pea gravel under the pool to stabilize. I am only going to drain about half anyways and refill. According to the calculator that is what I should do to correct the CH. The salt I can correct later after refilling.

Are you sure you need to do this? Does your SWG still produce chlorine when your water has high salt? Mine does

My pool water CH is 850ppm and I can easily manage it. High CH/salt doesn't necessarily require a drain. You also live in FL, so rain water dilution (overflow) is always an option.

If you do drain, I would rent a submersible pump from a local Home Depot or Lowes as they will drain your pool A LOT faster than your pool pump and then you don't have to worry about the problem you are describing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.