Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Runs a little while then shows PCB error

1. Back To Top    #1

Runs a little while then shows PCB error

I have aqua rite swg and when I remove fuse and wait for a minute and reinstall the fuse the swg will run fine and then a couple hours later i will check and system will have PCB error.I installed new limiter already a month ago
    30,000 gals./ In ground/Vinyl liner/Cartridge filter/A.O Smith 1 1/2 HP Pump/Pool Installed in 2008/Tf-100 test kit just ordered/Aqua-Rite SWG/well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Runs a little while then shows PCB error

Did you test the Limiter to see if it had failed? either on the board or by desoldering one leg? Or check it for a cold solder joint? Seems logical to suspect the component you just worked on. Also there are two other limiters on the board as well (smaller red ones).

I've seen suggested elsewhere that if the component is over heating that as a test/temporary solution you can put a piece of electrical tape over the disk and clamp it with a small binder clip to act as an additional heat sink.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but perhaps ours are similar, we can work through it together. Mine is doing the same thing and I'm pretty sure its my current limiter, so I just ordered the part.
    20K IG gunite with attached spa, dark plaster and lava rock waterfall, very 90's. Pool equip refit in 2005 with all Sta-Rite cartridge filter, pump, and heater; Polaris sweep; Goldline Controller(Hayward) with T-Cell-15 SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mguzzy View Post
    Did you test the Limiter to see if it had failed? either on the board or by desoldering one leg? Or check it for a cold solder joint? Seems logical to suspect the component you just worked on. Also there are two other limiters on the board as well (smaller red ones).

I've seen suggested elsewhere that if the component is over heating that as a test/temporary solution you can put a piece of electrical tape over the disk and clamp it with a small binder clip to act as an additional heat sink.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but perhaps ours are similar, we can work through it together. Mine is doing the same thing and I'm pretty sure its my current limiter, so I just ordered the part.
    how would i test it.
    30,000 gals./ In ground/Vinyl liner/Cartridge filter/A.O Smith 1 1/2 HP Pump/Pool Installed in 2008/Tf-100 test kit just ordered/Aqua-Rite SWG/well water

4. Back To Top    #4

You can test with an ohmmeter. Its my understanding you can test on the board and look for an open circuit. If you desolder one of the leads you should get a more reliable reading:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7675090_test-varistor.html

Based on the specs of the SL32 2R025 the resistance should be 2 Ohms.

I'm sure you read this as well.
    https://idoneitmyself.com/2009/08/23...-by-lightning/

I don't know what a good one is supposed to read if you try to test on the board. I'm pretty sure mine is going out so I can't try it.
    Mark
    20K IG gunite with attached spa, dark plaster and lava rock waterfall, very 90's. Pool equip refit in 2005 with all Sta-Rite cartridge filter, pump, and heater; Polaris sweep; Goldline Controller(Hayward) with T-Cell-15 SWG