Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water hose heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water hose heater?

My pool's water level is low. To take advantage of the heat in my heavy black hose, I have the water just trickling in. Even after an hour, the hose absorbs enough sun light to make the water going in substantially warmer than the current pool temperature. Has anyone actually built a hose heater? Maybe use a fountain pump to circulate pool water? If so, care to share the experience?
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

2. Back To Top    #2
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Water hose heater?

I tried it. The water coming out of the hose is indeed warmer, but there's just not enough volume to make a difference in the entire pool. Your money and effort will be much better spent on a solar cover. Now THAT will really warm a pool up!
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are interested in solar heating you will be FAR better off with a commercial built pool heater such as this DIY kit from Amazon Amazon.com : SmartPool SunHeater-Solar Heating System : Swimming Pool Solar Heaters : Patio, Lawn Garden

With solar heat there are 2 important factors, surface area and enough water flow to make the return water only slightly warmer than the pool water.

The first part of this agrees with common sense, bigger is better, etc. but the second part gives people a problem. Simply put you loose a lot of heat to plumbing, wind, etc. when you try to make the water HOT, so instead you should try to increase the water flow up to the point where the return water is just slightly warmer than the rest of the pool.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. I will look at getting a good solar cover. They just seem so expensive for what they are. Maybe look at getting a real solar heater next year. I can get the pool up between 79 and 82F on good days but I lose so much heat at night. Cloudy/windy days are just killing me.

6. Back To Top    #6

You can get a basic solar cover for well under $60 on ebay, hard to beat that price for the amount of heat they save
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

7. Back To Top    #7

This is the cheapest one I can find on Amazon (for $60). Only one review and it is bad. I can't get to ebay from work Will look there later when I get home.

Amazon.com : Down Under Blue/Blue Solar Cover - 24 Round Pool - 80 Grade - Premier Solar Heater Blanket : Patio, Lawn Garden

8. Back To Top    #8

I would not put much stock in that review if they did not know they were basically buying a big sheet of bubble wrap to begin with