Inground Pool - Lights Not Working

Easto

Jun 27, 2010
We built out pool in the summer of 2010.

We had two lights (non-LED) installed in the pool.

Over the last few years we haven't really used the lights because our kids were so young and typically when it got dark we were putting kids to bed and cleaning up. Night swimming never really happened.

Now the kids are older and our backyard has turned into the neighborhood hot spot we are using the pool at night.

I haven't used the lights yet this week, but last night I tried to turn the lights on and no luck. The breaker for the lights are on, and I turned the switch on, but DARKNESS.

Can someone help me troubleshoot my lights?

Is this as easy as getting new bulbs?

Is this a DIY job, I would rather not have to call in a "professional" if I don't have to.

Since that involves dropping the water level below the level of the lights, I'd just wait until you close your pool for the season. We only occasionally use ours and if I had to go the rest of the season without it, it wouldn't kill me. But my guess is that it shouldn't be a big deal to replace yourself.

It is not too hard to do yourself, there is a video on inyopool.com under the light bulb section. You do not need to drain your pool but a mask and snorkel help and a scuba tank makes it very easy. The bigger problem is parts if equipment is old, but 2010 is not old. I want to put LED light in but my fixture is too small to accommodate and my niche will not accommodate a fixture that does allow an LED. If you can't find video, post and I will find and link it for you.

Most pool lights are on the end of a long cable that allows the light enclosure to be removed and placed on the pool deck. There should be no reason to drain your pool.

But.. both lights are not working and they have been very lightly used.. Off-hand I'd suspect the power going to the light, before suspecting that both light bulbs are bad. This power should come from a GFCI circuit breaker, or a GFCI outlet. The very first thing I would do is to make sure that you have power going to the lights.

Jim R.

Ok, so I have a GFCI outlet. I pressed RESET and TEST a bunch of times and all of a sudden now it works.
Which did you press first???? GFCI's are designed to not fail in the on position. This is not to say it can't happen. I would guess that the reset was pressed first as it probably was tripped. As to why it was tripped, ...anybody's guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.