Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete pool with "knots" along the bottom edge

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete pool with "knots" along the bottom edge

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what these knots are. I'm not sure how else to describe them. I bought a house in January and it came with a swampy concrete pool. With the help of TFP, I now have a sparkling clear pool. Now that I can see the bottom clearly, I noticed these knots along the edge of the pool. Most of them are in the shallow end (3'6" deep) and by the skimmer (4'6" deep).

A little history about the pool as I have been told by the previous owner:

It was built roughly 1950's
    The previous owner drained the pool every single year because he said it was easier to start with fresh water
    It has about 3 different paint layers of different colors...meaning he painted over the old paint each time
    The shadow at the bottom of the pool in the post TFP method pic is actually a painted killer whale

This is an image from the appraisal showing the swamp
    Screenshot_20160618-151735.jpg

This is the pool now post TFP method
    20160618_114040.jpg

These are the "knots"
    20160619_094641.jpg
    20160619_094703.jpg
    20160619_094712.jpg

If anyone has any idea what they are and if I should be concerned about them. I definitely don't want them to get any bigger. I do plan on doing a pool renovation next year but for this season I just wanted to be able to swim in it.

Thank you!
    IG 33K gallon concrete, Sta Rite 3 cartridge filter, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete pool with "knots" along the bottom edge

Welcome to TFP!

Nice work cleaning up that cool old pool! See if this page helps to diagnose the issue, Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems

A set or two of test results will also help diagnose it. More here about what helps us help you better, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I will check out that link thanks!

My CH was really low (30) for the first 2 weeks of Slamming. I have gotten it up to 240.

Here are today's numbers:
    FC 7
    CC .5
    pH 7.4
    TA 160
    CH 240
    CYA 30

IG 33K gallon concrete, Sta Rite 3 cartridge filter, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump, Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I want to see a better picture of the killer whale! That looks neat!

How do those knots feel? Any give to them? Are they chipping off? Are you losing any water that you can tell?

I would not do too much to them just in case. We ALL want you to swim and enjoy your pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I have yet to get in and actually touch them but when brushing they seem solid. It's hard to tell if there are cracks in them or the cracks are the paint cracking. I have noticed a small amount of water loss but but I have cleaned my filter a few times and yesterday there were quite a few people splashing around. I will check them better tomorrow and will post a better picture of the whale.

Thanks!
    Bridget