Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oasis Pools Stain & Scale

1. Back To Top    #1

Oasis Pools Stain & Scale

So I'm going to be doing the TFP ascorbic acid treatment for what I believe are mostly copper stains on my liner. I have 64 fluid ounces of Oasis Pools Stain & Scale on hand. It's hard for me to receive packages at my address right now so I'm trying to source the chemicals locally (otherwise I would probably order Jack's Magic Vinyl Blue Stuff). However, if this S&S stuff is going to jack me up I'll switch to Plan B. The chemicals aren't clear to me, the "ingredients greater than 1%" are as follows:

NJTSRN: 15876300-5003P
    NJTSRN: 15876300-5004P

So I guess these are MSDS ID's, but I haven't figured out how to search for them. Is this going to work well as a sequestrant? Is it going to elevate my phosphates? My phosphates are currently 500 ppm. I'll do the initial dose of 32 oz, then a maintenance dose of 16 oz / month.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oasis Pools Stain & Scale

I am concerned that I can't find a msds for that product name online frankly.

I would hold up until you can get a product that we all know works. For exampe, I've seen people use natural chemistry's stain and scale product with an AA treatment and it DID NOT sequester the metal...the msds reveals that its citric acid.

What you want to be using is a HEDP product that might sa "diphosphonic acid" to avoid unintended consequences or failure to sequester

What does the bottle say is in it?
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

That is all that is on the bottle. So after some more searching I believe NJTSRN is a New Jersey Trade Secret Registry Number. Dang!

http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/tsrn.html
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Very not-transparent. I would return it to the pool store and tell them you're unwilling to use a product that does not publish an msds.

More importantly, i simply wouldn't put it in my pool and potentially waste the effort of the AA treatment.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, yeah I returned it today. Since I believe it to be copper staining, it looks like Jack's Magic has a vinyl version of the Blue Stuff that would be my best bet. What's odd though is the MSDS's are identical between the two (100% 1-Hydroxyethylidene- 1, 1-diphosphonic Acid). I wonder why that is?