Upgrading Equipment

Jun 13, 2016
Lubbock, Texas
First off thanks to this board. I have learned a lot here and look forward to continuing my education. Lol. I am in the process of replacing/upgrading some pool equipment. I am looking at getting a new motor. I am trying to determine if I should go the route of VS or dual speed. The issues I have read online worry me about the variable speed pumps. My equipment is housed in a third car garage removed from the weather elements. I was looking at several pumps on inyo pools and have contemplated just replacing the Emerson motor with the 1.65 v VS by century. I also looked at the pureline VS motor and pump. Sorry for the rambling.
1. Is it important to stick with Hayward considering my filter is Hayward? if so which of the Hayward set ups would work best for my scenario a VS or DS

2. Any thoughts or reviews on the pureline pumps or the century motors?

we plan on installing a heater down the road as well but not in the budget for this year.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to TFP!

2 sp or variable sp will both save a lot of money and a lot of noise. A surge protector will prevent most/all of the issues with VS pumps taking power hits.

Something like this, Square D Panel Mounted Single Phase Type 1 Surge Protective Device-SDSA1175 - The Home Depot

For your pool probably the most important thing is to make sure that you get enough flow to operate your SWG on low speed if you get a 2 sp pump. A VS pump would let you dial in the right speed. And a VS pump will be a bit more efficient than a 2 sp. But, the 2 sp is a lot more efficient than the single speed pump you have now. A 2 speed pump same size you have now on low speed will move half the water and use 1/4 the electricity. I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm to make chlorine and skim and it uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm.

Adding a heater in the future makes the VS pump more attractive also because you will be able to dial in a good flow rate for the heater too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.