Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upgrading Equipment

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrading Equipment

First off thanks to this board. I have learned a lot here and look forward to continuing my education. Lol. I am in the process of replacing/upgrading some pool equipment. I am looking at getting a new motor. I am trying to determine if I should go the route of VS or dual speed. The issues I have read online worry me about the variable speed pumps. My equipment is housed in a third car garage removed from the weather elements. I was looking at several pumps on inyo pools and have contemplated just replacing the Emerson motor with the 1.65 v VS by century. I also looked at the pureline VS motor and pump. Sorry for the rambling.
    1. Is it important to stick with Hayward considering my filter is Hayward? if so which of the Hayward set ups would work best for my scenario a VS or DS

2. Any thoughts or reviews on the pureline pumps or the century motors?

we plan on installing a heater down the road as well but not in the budget for this year.

Thanks in advance
    Fiberglass; 23000 Gal, Emerson 1.5hp single speed motor on a Hayward super II pump; Hayward C3030 cartridge filter, Pentair chlorinator. 1.5 inch plumbing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upgrading Equipment

Hi,
    it isnt important if the motor is the same brand of your filter or not.

I really cant comment as to the types of motors you listed as I dont have any personal experience with those.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

2 sp or variable sp will both save a lot of money and a lot of noise. A surge protector will prevent most/all of the issues with VS pumps taking power hits.

Something like this, Square D Panel Mounted Single Phase Type 1 Surge Protective Device-SDSA1175 - The Home Depot

For your pool probably the most important thing is to make sure that you get enough flow to operate your SWG on low speed if you get a 2 sp pump. A VS pump would let you dial in the right speed. And a VS pump will be a bit more efficient than a 2 sp. But, the 2 sp is a lot more efficient than the single speed pump you have now. A 2 speed pump same size you have now on low speed will move half the water and use 1/4 the electricity. I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm to make chlorine and skim and it uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm.

Adding a heater in the future makes the VS pump more attractive also because you will be able to dial in a good flow rate for the heater too.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you Divin Dave and pooldv. I appreciate all the advice. I will start the research into a variable speed pump. Any recommendations?
    steve
    Fiberglass; 23000 Gal, Emerson 1.5hp single speed motor on a Hayward super II pump; Hayward C3030 cartridge filter, Pentair chlorinator. 1.5 inch plumbing.

5. Back To Top    #5

I am a Pentair guy only because that is what my PB installed and I have been very happy with it.

The Pentair Superflo VS, 342001, is a good one for your pool set up. Here are a couple of places to get it.
    Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

Pentair VS PUMP VAR SPEED W/ TIMER SUPER FLO PUMP 115/230V - 342001 - INYOPools.com

more here also, http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...d-pump-464.htm
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach