Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Having trouble with CH test and Salt Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Having trouble with CH test and Salt Test

I received my test kit in the mail a few days ago and I have been taking some time trying to learn everything. The only 2 tests that I'm baffled by is the CH and Salt. I have run them several times and am getting quite a few different readings than I have been getting from my 2 local pool stores. Here are my readings.

Local pool stores

CH - 350-375
    Salt - 3200-3500

My Readings

CH - 500-525
    Salt - 5200

Now, I know my salt is higher but that is after adding 2 bags to raise the level since the manufacturer of my chlorine generator likes the level between 4000-4500. It should not have raised it by THAT much by adding 2 bags. I am following the directions as described in Pool School and that came with the kits. Am I doing something wrong?
    13,000 gallon / In Ground / Gunite with pebble finish / 2 speed Hayward Pump / Hayward C1750 cartridge filter / SGS Breeze 540 Chlorine Generator (40k gallon) / Pool 100% sunlight no cage

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Having trouble with CH test and Salt Test

It is a terrible idea to compare your results to pool stores.

Why do you think your's are wrong and the pool store is right. It is most always the opposite.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not saying one or the other. I was just curious as to why there might be such a difference. Are they really just that careless with these tests or just trying to extort money out of people? All of the other readings I got were pretty much in line with what they got except for those two. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
    13,000 gallon / In Ground / Gunite with pebble finish / 2 speed Hayward Pump / Hayward C1750 cartridge filter / SGS Breeze 540 Chlorine Generator (40k gallon) / Pool 100% sunlight no cage

4. Back To Top    #4

Titration is extremely accurate, trust your test kit.
    Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, I will. Just kind of disheartening that you can't trust people these days. Looks like I will doing a partial drain today since the CH and Salt is high. Won't make this mistake again.

6. Back To Top    #6

There are lots of reasons why pool store test results are inconsistent

Inexperienced operator
    Poor training
    Poor lighting
    Poor technique, sampling, mixing
    Not cleaning out last customer's pool water
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

What salt test are you using?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

jblizzle already has this, but that salt reading from your test is way high. Have you put a bunch of salt in pool recently?

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm using the Taylor kit that I got with the TF100. Yes, I added 2 bags of salt last week to bring my levels up to the manufacturer's suggested level for their chlorine gen. The last readings I got from the pool stores were 3200 & 3500. 2 bags should have put me close to where I needed to be as long as their test results were accurate.

I have a SGS chlorine generator which calls for it to be between 4-4500, with a minimum of 3000.

10. Back To Top    #10

Does the SWG report a salt level?

Still did not state what salt test you have.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!