H100D pool/ spa heater banging sound

May 30, 2015
Rumford, RI
I have a H100D propane pool heater that you guys helped get running last year and it worked great all summer ( minus a couple PH caused leaks). This year when I started it it works great but makes a banging sound only when the heater is on. When the no heat and just water flowing through it is silent. Other than the noise it works great. I took the heat exchanger out and cleaned what I could but there is a lot of green build up from the leaks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had a professional gas tech look at it and has indicated the gas aspect of the heater is working fine. He indicated it seems to be an Air in line or stream trapped. Since he was not an actual pool teach he was unable to go any further. Any other suggestions or am i out of luck with this heater?

If you have leaks like that in the heat exchanger and are getting steam popping I would strongly look into replacing the heater or the leaking heat exchanger before the small leaks get big and make a real mess. Water flashing to steam is a very effective way of breaking things.

I have purchased (Craiglist) a heater same Model # as mine except this is NG vs. Propane. My Question is can I change out the gas regulator assembly including orifices with the propane one? In doing so all mounting line up perfect and tubes appear to be the same. One other item i noted was that the NG gas regulator had a 120V applied to open gas where the propane is 24Vac but I can easily mount the xformer the same way it was in the LP model.

I have purchased (Craiglist) a heater same Model # as mine except this is NG vs. Propane. My Question is can I change out the gas regulator assembly including orifices with the propane one? In doing so all mounting line up perfect and tubes appear to be the same. One other item i noted was that the NG gas regulator had a 120V applied to open gas where the propane is 24Vac but I can easily mount the xformer the same way it was in the LP model.

- - - Updated - - -

Any help is appreciated. Thank You

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.