Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: H100D pool/ spa heater banging sound

1. Back To Top    #1

H100D pool/ spa heater banging sound

I have a H100D propane pool heater that you guys helped get running last year and it worked great all summer ( minus a couple PH caused leaks). This year when I started it it works great but makes a banging sound only when the heater is on. When the no heat and just water flowing through it is silent. Other than the noise it works great. I took the heat exchanger out and cleaned what I could but there is a lot of green build up from the leaks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: H100D pool/ spa heater banging sound

Sounds like a burner issue problem, gas not burning completely, like a car back firing. You need to get this checked out by a professional.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

3. Back To Top    #3

I had a professional gas tech look at it and has indicated the gas aspect of the heater is working fine. He indicated it seems to be an Air in line or stream trapped. Since he was not an actual pool teach he was unable to go any further. Any other suggestions or am i out of luck with this heater?

4. Back To Top    #4

any suggestions?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If you have leaks like that in the heat exchanger and are getting steam popping I would strongly look into replacing the heater or the leaking heat exchanger before the small leaks get big and make a real mess. Water flashing to steam is a very effective way of breaking things.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

6. Back To Top    #6

I have purchased (Craiglist) a heater same Model # as mine except this is NG vs. Propane. My Question is can I change out the gas regulator assembly including orifices with the propane one? In doing so all mounting line up perfect and tubes appear to be the same. One other item i noted was that the NG gas regulator had a 120V applied to open gas where the propane is 24Vac but I can easily mount the xformer the same way it was in the LP model.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have purchased (Craiglist) a heater same Model # as mine except this is NG vs. Propane. My Question is can I change out the gas regulator assembly including orifices with the propane one? In doing so all mounting line up perfect and tubes appear to be the same. One other item i noted was that the NG gas regulator had a 120V applied to open gas where the propane is 24Vac but I can easily mount the xformer the same way it was in the LP model.

- - - Updated - - -

Any help is appreciated. Thank You

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

You would have to read the owners manual for that information or contact the company directly. Not all gas devices are set up to run on either gas.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help