Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Tripping Circuit Breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Tripping Circuit Breaker

I just bought a Hayward SP2615X20 Super Pump 2 HP inground pool pump from Amazon. Initially, I configured it to 115V because I did not realize that I had a separate power supply for the pool. Of course, that didn't work out so I switched the configuration back to 230V. I'm pretty sure the wiring of the motor is done correctly.

Now, when I try to turn the pump on, it will only run for 2-3 seconds before it shuts down and trips the breaker. The motor runs and the vacuum works but only for a couple seconds.

The breaker is a GFCI 40 Amp circuit breaker. With a start capacitator in the pump, I don't think it should be drawing so much current that it trips the breaker.

Could there be any damage to the wiring or the pump after the I used the wrong configuration?

Thanks for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pump Tripping Circuit Breaker

Yes if you wired the wrong voltage to the motor and ran it you may have damaged the windings in the motor. You may have also blown out the capacitor.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

3. Back To Top    #3

Would this cause the motor to run for a few seconds and then stop? Because that is what is happening right now. I would think that if the windings in the motor/capacitor blown out, it would not run at all.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by lauralindy
    I'm pretty sure the wiring of the motor is done correctly.
    If you are just "pretty sure", I would have it checked out by a licensed electrician.

The good news is that it is unlikely that the source wiring was damaged - the circuit breaker's primary job is to protect the wiring from overload. You also could have a ground-fault issue somewhere. If it is not correctly wired for 230V, it may be reading the neutral return as a ground fault given that the breaker is a 230V GFCI. Also, keep in mind that if the motor is wired for 115V, it will pull twice the amps vs. correctly wiring it for 230V.

Bottom line: If the breaker trips within a few seconds of operation, it is a sign that it is not wired properly. I would definitely have it checked out by an electrician.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

If you are just "pretty sure", I would have it checked out by a licensed electrician.

The good news is that it is unlikely that the source wiring was damaged - the circuit breaker's primary job is to protect the wiring from overload. You also could have a ground-fault issue somewhere. If it is not correctly wired for 230V, it may be reading the neutral return as a ground fault given that the breaker is a 230V GFCI. Also, keep in mind that if the motor is wired for 115V, it will pull twice the amps vs. correctly wiring it for 230V.

Bottom line: If the breaker trips within a few seconds of operation, it is a sign that it is not wired properly. I would definitely have it checked out by an electrician.

Are you talking about the motor voltage configuration wiring or the rest of the pool setup wiring specifically?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are asking about what I meant by "the source wiring", I was referring to the wiring from the breaker to the motor. If you are still able to get the pump to start up again (which it sounds like you did), that's a good indicator that the pump motor is OK, but I wouldn't press it or you risk damaging it. Please have the wiring checked out by a licensed electrician - it may save you the cost of a new pump motor as well as other collateral damage.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm an electrical engineer which is why I thought the wiring was ok.

I want to measure the current myself but my ammeter is only a 10A one. It's certainly drawing in way more current than that to be able to trip my 40A breaker.

8. Back To Top    #8

Electrical engineer does not equate to licensed electrician. There are wiring diagrams that must be followed. You wired something incorrectly. I'd recommend professional help at this point. It would be awful to be injured/killed just to save a few bucks.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

My 1.5 HP pump is on a 20 AMP GFCI breaker with minimum 12 GA wire out to the pump. The plate on the motor states that max power draw on 240V is about 7.5 - 7.8 Amps, and I'm usually pulling 5-5.5 amps , so I can't imagine your 2HP taking much more than 10-12 amps on 240V.

I'd start by making sure that you ARE supplying 240V, then checking your wire size out to the pump. For a 240V pump, 12 ga should be plenty (figure extra if you are running other items as well. I'd also like to know what the wiring between breaker and pump (things like switches and timers as well). Are you running 120V stuff off of the pump circuit without a neutral wire ?

I'd also like to know pool size and why it was recommended that you get a 2HP pump - seems pretty darn big to me.

And if all else fails - time to get an electrician out there.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

A 40A breaker? That would be 8 Gauge wire I think, you really using wire that heavy to the pump?
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Here's the link to the manual: https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/SuperPump.pdf

WARNING – All wiring must be done by a licensed electrician and must conform to all
    local and national codes and regulations.
    WARNING – Ground and bond motor before connecting to electrical power supply. Failure
    to ground and bond pump motor can cause serious or fatal electrical shock hazard.
    WARNING – Do NOT ground to a gas supply line.
    WARNING – To avoid dangerous or fatal electrical shock, turn OFF power to motor before
    working on electrical connections.
    WARNING – Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) tripping indicates electrical problem. If GFCI trips and
    won’t reset, consult electrician to inspect and repair electrical system.
    WARNING – Fire Hazard. Match supply voltage to motor nameplate voltage.

Check Page 6. 2hp 230V motor calls for a 15 Amp breaker. Not 40 amps.

These directions show how to replace the motor, but cover the wiring directions. It may help with your trouble shooting: How To Replace the Motor on Your Pool Pump - INYOPools.com
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Here's the link to the manual: https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/SuperPump.pdf

WARNING – All wiring must be done by a licensed electrician and must conform to all
    local and national codes and regulations.
    WARNING – Ground and bond motor before connecting to electrical power supply. Failure
    to ground and bond pump motor can cause serious or fatal electrical shock hazard.
    WARNING – Do NOT ground to a gas supply line.
    WARNING – To avoid dangerous or fatal electrical shock, turn OFF power to motor before
    working on electrical connections.
    WARNING – Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) tripping indicates electrical problem. If GFCI trips and
    won’t reset, consult electrician to inspect and repair electrical system.
    WARNING – Fire Hazard. Match supply voltage to motor nameplate voltage.

Check Page 6. 2hp 230V motor calls for a 15 Amp breaker. Not 40 amps.

These directions show how to replace the motor, but cover the wiring directions. It may help with your trouble shooting: How To Replace the Motor on Your Pool Pump - INYOPools.com
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

Big difference in 115v to 240v is that the 115v uses a neutral and the 240, actually 220 does not use a neutral. Sounds like your wiring in the pump is incorrect and causing the gfci to trip.

38K gallon in ground pool. Painted with an epoxy paint (Pool Guard EHB). Painted over a plaster/fiberglass mix. Triton 2 sand filter with a 1.5 hp motor. suction side cleaner, generic style kreepy crawler style.
    Up to date I have been taken to the cleaners with pool store chemicals. New to this form of pool care. (and excited about it)

14. Back To Top    #14

If the pump runs a few seconds, sounds like the wiring to the the pump could be a problem. it is most likely not drawing too much amperage, but something is causing too much resistance. could be something is making a connection to ground, hince it is tripping.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreSun View Post
    A 40A breaker? That would be 8 Gauge wire I think, you really using wire that heavy to the pump?
    Yes a 40 A breaker does require 8AWG to carry that.

16. Back To Top    #16

Looking at the owners manual online for that pump indicates that wired for 115 V you would use a 30A breaker with 10AWG wire. wired for 230V you would be using a 15A breaker with 14AWG . So wired for 230V a 40A breaker is too big. It would not trip soon enough to prevent damage not only to the pump, but also to your panel etc. While 8AWG is more than is needed, it is not your problem. Good luck.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

How about posting a picture of the wiring connections inside the motor junction box so we can see what is going on.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump