Planning for the future

Jul 19, 2014
Hudson Ohio
So looking at the deck on the back of my house which is now probably 25-30 years old, I estimate I will need to tear down and replace it is 3-5 years. I currently have a 24' AGP that we put in 2 seasons ago. Kind of an experiment to see how we liked being pool owners. As we relaxed in the pool yesterday I decided that the deck replacement should be converted to a nice large patio with an inground pool.

Before I start designing this beast of a project, what is the best construction method for North Eastern Ohio?

The idea I have is for max depth of 5.5 to 6' depth and not too large 12x20 ish. I want to have a good design put together before I talk to a PB.

Similar situation here. I had a 28' AG at my prior house. Used it so much we did a n IG after moving. The new house had a deck that would also be seeing the end of it's life sooner than later. My deck was about 20" off the ground so we built up the ground and replaced it with a patio. I'll get a before and after pictures up. As far as construction method, go with pavers since you know concrete will crack in no time. As for the pool any type will last when done properly (vinyl, gunite, fiberglass).

I agree with at least 5' deep. If you will have kids in it they will want to jump in. When they are adult sized but child minded they'll need the extra depth when doing cannon balls etc. :) Here are panoramic pics before and after my deck was replaced with a raised paver patio. I'm glad I did it and I never have to stain a deck ever again!

27833785256_f21a78561b_k.jpg

27256463444_118a4ba9de_k.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.