Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Planning for the future

1. Back To Top    #1

Planning for the future

So looking at the deck on the back of my house which is now probably 25-30 years old, I estimate I will need to tear down and replace it is 3-5 years. I currently have a 24' AGP that we put in 2 seasons ago. Kind of an experiment to see how we liked being pool owners. As we relaxed in the pool yesterday I decided that the deck replacement should be converted to a nice large patio with an inground pool.

Before I start designing this beast of a project, what is the best construction method for North Eastern Ohio?

The idea I have is for max depth of 5.5 to 6' depth and not too large 12x20 ish. I want to have a good design put together before I talk to a PB.
    24'x54" AGP 13,500g AquaLeader Sentinelle | Hayward Voyager CC150 sqft cartridge filter | Hayward 2hp 2spd pump | Hayward Aquaray Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Planning for the future

Similar situation here. I had a 28' AG at my prior house. Used it so much we did a n IG after moving. The new house had a deck that would also be seeing the end of it's life sooner than later. My deck was about 20" off the ground so we built up the ground and replaced it with a patio. I'll get a before and after pictures up. As far as construction method, go with pavers since you know concrete will crack in no time. As for the pool any type will last when done properly (vinyl, gunite, fiberglass).
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

3. Back To Top    #3

Following. We're in the middle of our build after researching here for months. You're in the right place!!

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

4. Back To Top    #4

My deck is roughly 30x20 and about 3' off of grade. There are multiple tiers plus a 12x16 o added for the AGP.

I don't think I would do a deep end but a minimum of 5' deep. I've got some ideas and will draw it all up in sketchup.
    24'x54" AGP 13,500g AquaLeader Sentinelle | Hayward Voyager CC150 sqft cartridge filter | Hayward 2hp 2spd pump | Hayward Aquaray Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with at least 5' deep. If you will have kids in it they will want to jump in. When they are adult sized but child minded they'll need the extra depth when doing cannon balls etc. Here are panoramic pics before and after my deck was replaced with a raised paver patio. I'm glad I did it and I never have to stain a deck ever again!

Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

6. Back To Top    #6

Very nice!

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes that does look nice. Very similar features that I am wanting.