Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What size filter to get? Should I use sand or one of sand media substitutes?

1. Back To Top    #1

What size filter to get? Should I use sand or one of sand media substitutes?

I have an above 15x30 oval above ground pool 52 in deep. 2 speed 2 hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What size filter to get? Should I use sand or one of sand media substitutes?

I bought a house with a pool and it had a sand filter. I hated it. The water took forever to clean and once it was clean it was just a little hazy. I was always at the store buying a new chemical that promised to get rid of it.
    Then I bought a DE filter and it cured everything. The water clears up so fast when I open the pool and it gets sparkling clear without extra chemicals. I highly recommend going DE.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What size filter to get? Should I use sand or one of sand media substitutes?

I started with a DE filter and switched to a cart filter. For me it was a good move. To polish up the water I add Purifiber to coat the cart after cotton season is done.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

They all work. If you were trusting the pool store, that is why your water was not clear, nothing to do with the sand filter.

Stick with actual sand and not an alternative if you choose that type of filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I had a big sand filter that probably just needed a sand change, but I let the repair people talk me into a new DE filter. I regret it. The sand filter was very forgiving if I let it get a little green; the DE filter (even though it's a big one) gets clogged way too quickly.

Water clarity is slightly better, but not nearly enough to justify the extra effort. Wish I had the sand filter back. YMMV, obviously.

Brad

6. Back To Top    #6

Id buy the biggest size you can as incremental price difference isnt that much. I Have a jandy cl580 and only have to wash the filters once per year. Smaller size equal more maintenance events.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall