Is GFCI at the receptacle or the breaker?

microscopes

Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
Question for you knowledgable folks!

My receptacle where the pump plugs in, does not have a normal GFCI outlet -- Meaning there is no push button "test" option on it. It is one of the twist lock plugs.

So is it a GFCI receptacle with no test button, or is the GFCI most likely at the panel?

I know that my GFCI is in the bathroom, and my outdoor outlets are tied into it.
I didn't trust that setup 100%, so I replaced my breaker for that circuit with a GFCI type as well.
If you look at your breaker panel, you can tell if there is a GFCI breaker in it, they look a lot different from a regular breaker.

I know that my GFCI is in the bathroom, and my outdoor outlets are tied into it.
I didn't trust that setup 100%, so I replaced my breaker for that circuit with a GFCI type as well.
If you look at your breaker panel, you can tell if there is a GFCI breaker in it, they look a lot different from a regular breaker.

Yeah there's definitely a GFCI breaker.

just not sure if it needs to be on the receptacle too?

First have you looked at the panel and found the beaker for your pool?

Second, does that breaker have a test button on it?

Third, have you tested it.

Fourth, when depressed does the test button trip the circuit breaker and move the throw switch to the middle position on the breaker?

If all those are true then you have GFCI protection on the circuit.

Generally you don't want to run GFCIs in series in a circuit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.